Two novel Alphaflexiviridae members revealed by deep sequencing of the Vanilla (Orchidaceae) virome
The genomes of two novel viruses were assembled from 454 pyrosequencing data obtained from vanilla leaves from La Réunion. Based on genome organization and homologies, one agent was unambiguously classified as a member of the genus Potexvirus and named vanilla virus X (VVX). The second one, vanilla latent virus (VLV), is phylogenetically close to three unclassified members of the family Alphaflexiviridae with similarity to allexiviruses, and despite the presence of an additional 8-kDa open reading frame, we propose to include VLV as a new member of the genus Allexivirus. Both VVX and VLV were mechanically transmitted to vanilla plants, resulting in asymptomatic infections.
- 1.Adams MJ, Candresse T, Hammond J, Kreuze JF, Martelli GP, Namba S, Pearson MN, Ryu KH, Vaira AM (2011) Alphaflexiviridae ICTV 9th reportGoogle Scholar
- 3.Candresse T, Filloux D, Muhire B, Julian C, Galzi S, Fort G, Bernardo P, Daugrois J-H, Fernandez E, Martin DP, Varsani A, Roumagnac P (2014) Appearances can be deceptive: revealing a hidden viral infection with deep sequencing in a plant quarantine context. PLoS One 9:e102945. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102945 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Grisoni M, Pearson MN, Farreyrol K (2010) Virus diseases of vanilla. In: Odoux E, Grisoni M (eds) Vanilla. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 95–120Google Scholar
- 5.ICTV (2017) Virus taxonomy on line. http://www.ictvonline/Taxonomy/Alphaflexiviridae. Accessed 21 Mar 2017
- 10.Mambole I, Bonheur L, Dumas L, Filloux D, Gomez R-M, Faure C, Lange D, Anzala F, Pavis C, Marais A, Roumagnac P, Candresse T, Teycheney P-Y (2014) Molecular characterization of yam virus X, a new potexvirus infecting yams (Dioscorea spp) and evidence for the existence of at least three distinct potexviruses infecting yams. Arch Virol 159:3421–3426. doi:10.1007/s00705-014-2211-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Palanga E, Filloux D, Martin DP, Fernandez E, Gargani D, Ferdinand R, Zabré J, Bouda Z, Bouma Neya J, Sawadogo M, Traore O, Peterschmitt M, Roumagnac P (2016) Metagenomic-based screening and molecular characterization of Cowpea-infecting viruses in burkina faso. Plos One 11:e0165188. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0165188 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar