Tomato leaf curl Burkina Faso virus: a novel tomato-infecting monopartite begomovirus from Burkina Faso
In this report, we present the first description of the complete genome sequence of a new monopartite begomovirus isolated from tomatoes collected in Burkina Faso and presenting with symptoms of tomato leaf curl disease. We propose the tentative name “tomato leaf curl Burkina Faso virus’’ (ToLCBFV). DNA-A-like nucleotide sequence of ToLCBFV shares the highest nucleotide sequence identity (85%) with the pepper yellow vein Mali virus (PepYVMLV). Phylogenetic analysis confirmed the affiliation of ToLCBFV to Old World monopartite begomoviruses. This discovery of a new species confirms the existence of high genetic diversity in monopartite begomoviruses in sub-Saharan Africa and particularly in West Africa.
Compliance with ethical standards
This study was funded by the EMEB project (PEERS-AIRD, 2013-2014), the European Union (FEDER), the Région Réunion and CIRAD. AO is a recipient of a PhD fellowship from CIRAD (2015-2017).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 3.Brown JK, Zerbini FM, Navas-Castillo J, Moriones E, Ramos-Sobrinho R, Silva JCF, Fiallo-Olive E, Briddon RW, Hernandez-Zepeda C, Idris A, Malathi VG, Martin DP, Rivera-Bustamante R, Ueda S, Varsani A (2015) Revision of Begomovirus taxonomy based on pairwise sequence comparisons. Arch Virol 160:1593–1619CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Leke WN, Mignouna DB, Brown JK, Kvarnheden A (2015) Begomovirus disease complex: emerging threat to vegetable production systems of West and Central Africa. Agric Food Secur 4:1–4Google Scholar
- 5.Muhire BM, Varsani A, Martin DP (2014) SDT: A virus classification tool based on pairwise sequence alignment and identity calculation. Plos One 9:1–8Google Scholar
- 7.Rey MEC, Ndunguru J, Berrie LC, Paximadis M, Berry S, Cossa N, Nuaila VN, Mabasa KG, Abraham N, Rybicki EP, Martin D, Pietersen G, Esterhuizen LL (2012) Diversity of dicotyledenous-infecting geminiviruses and their associated DNA molecules in Southern Africa, including the South-West Indian Ocean Islands. Viruses 4:1753–1791CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tiendrebeogo F, Lefeuvre P, Hoareau M, Traore VS, Barro N, Perefarres F, Reynaud B, Traore AS, Konate G, Lett JM, Traore O (2011) Molecular and biological characterization of pepper yellow vein Mali virus (PepYVMV) isolates associated with pepper yellow vein disease in Burkina Faso. Arch Virol 156:483–487CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar