First complete genome sequence of vanilla mosaic strain of Dasheen mosaic virus isolated from the Cook Islands.
- 291 Downloads
We present the first complete genome of vanilla mosaic virus (VanMV). The VanMV genomic structure is consistent with that of a potyvirus, containing a single open reading frame (ORF) encoding a polyprotein of 3139 amino acids. Motif analyses indicate the polyprotein can be cleaved into the expected ten individual proteins; other recognised potyvirus motifs are also present. As expected, the VanMV genome shows high sequence similarity to the published Dasheen mosaic virus (DsMV) genome sequences; comparisons with DsMV continue to support VanMV as a vanilla infecting strain of DsMV. Phylogenetic analyses indicate that VanMV and DsMV share a common ancestor, with VanMV having the closest relationship with DsMV strains from the South Pacific.
KeywordsComplete Genome Sequence Vanilla Single Open Reading Frame Cook Island Bean Common Mosaic Virus
Funding support by the Faculty of Health & Environmental Sciences, AUT, is gratefully acknowledged by CH.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Adams MJ, Zerbini FM, French R, Rabenstein F, Stenger DC, Valkonen JPT (2011) Potyviridae. In: King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ (eds) Virus taxonomy; classification and nomenclature of viruses; 9th report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, pp 1072–1089Google Scholar
- 3.Babu B, Hegde V, Makeshkumar T, Jeeva ML (2011) Characterisation of the coat protein gene of Dasheen mosaic virus infecting elephant foot yam. J Plant Pathol 93:199–203Google Scholar
- 5.Farreyrol K (2005) Characterisation and detection of viruses (Cucumovirus, Potyvirus) infecting vanilla in Reunion Island and Polynesian Islands. Biological sciences. University of Auckland, AucklandGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kearse M, Moir R, Wilson A, Stones-Havas S, Cheung M, Sturrock S, Buxton S, Cooper A, Markowitz S, Duran C, Thierer T, Ashton B, Mentjies P, Drummond A (2012) Geneious Basic: an integrated and extendable desktop software platform for the organization and analysis of sequence data. Bioinformatics 28:1647–1649CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pearson MN, Jackson GVH, Pone SP, Howitt RLJ (1993) Vanilla viruses in the South Pacific. Plant Mol Biol 42:127–131Google Scholar