Ficus religiosa L. bark extracts inhibit infection by herpes simplex virus type 2 in vitro
- 318 Downloads
Ficus religiosa extracts have been used in traditional Indian medicine to treat sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea and genital ulcers. The aim of this study was to investigate the antiviral activity of F. religiosa extracts against herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), the main causative agent of genital ulcers and sores. Water and chloroform bark extracts were the most active against HSV-2, and also against an acyclovir-resistant strain. We demonstrate that the water extract has a direct virus-inactivating activity. By contrast, the chloroform extract inhibits viral attachment and entry and limits the production of viral progeny.
KeywordsHSV-2 Antiviral Plant extract Ficus religiosa
This study was supported by a donation from Silvana Legnani.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Aiyegoro OA, Okoh AI (2009) Use of bioactive plant products in combination with standard antibiotics, implications in antimicrobial chemotherapy. J Med Plants Res 3:1147–1152Google Scholar
- 4.Choudhari AS, Suryavanshi SA, Kaul-Ghanekar R (2013) The aqueous extract of Ficus religiosa induces cell cycle arrest in human cervical cancer cell lines SiHa (HPV-16 positive) and apoptosis in HeLa (HPV-18 positive). PLoS One 8:e70127. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0070127 (1–10)
- 8.Roizman B, Knipe DM, Whitley RJ (2007) Herpes simplex viruses. In: Knipe DM et al (ed) Fields virology, 5th edn. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 2501–2601Google Scholar
- 12.Donalisio M, Cornaglia M, Landolfo S, Lembo D (2008) TGF-beta1 and IL-4 downregulate human papillomavirus-16 oncogene expression but have differential effects on the malignant phenotype of cervical carcinoma cells. Virus Res 132:253–266. doi: 10.1016/j.virusres.2007.12.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Donalisio M, Nana HM, Ngono Ngane RA, Gatsin D, Tiabou Tchinda A, Rovito R, Cagno V, Cagliero C, Boyom FF, Rubiolo P, Bicchi C, Lembo D (2013) In vitro anti-herpes simplex virus activity of crude extract of the roots of Nauclea latifolia Smith (Rubiaceae). BMC Complem Altern Med 13:266–274. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-13-266 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Donalisio M, Quaranta P, Chiuppesi F, Pistello M, Cagno V, Cavalli R, Volante M, Bugatti A, Rusnati M, Ranucci E, Ferruti P, Lembo D (2016) The AGMA1 poly(amidoamine) inhibits the infectivity of herpes simplex virus in cell lines, in human cervicovaginal histocultures, and in vaginally infected mice. Biomaterials 85:40–53. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.01.055 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar