Giant viruses of the Kutch Desert
The Kutch Desert (Great Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, India) is a unique ecosystem: in the larger part of the year it is a hot, salty desert that is flooded regularly in the Indian monsoon season. In the dry season, the crystallized salt deposits form the “white desert” in large regions. The first metagenomic analysis of the soil samples of Kutch was published in 2013, and the data were deposited in the NCBI Sequence Read Archive. At the same time, the sequences were analyzed phylogenetically for prokaryotes, especially for bacteria. In the present work, we identified DNA sequences of recently discovered giant viruses in the soil samples from the Kutch Desert. Since most giant viruses have been discovered in biofilms in industrial cooling towers, ocean water, and freshwater ponds, we were surprised to find their DNA sequences in soil samples from a seasonally very hot and arid, salty environment.
- 3.Boyer M, Yutin N, Pagnier I, Barrassi L, Fournous G, Espinosa L, Robert C, Azza S, Sun S, Rossmann MG, Suzan-Monti M, Scola BL, Koonin EV, Raoult D (2009) Giant Marseillevirus highlights the role of amoebae as a melting pot in emergence of chimeric microorganisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106(51):21848–21853PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Campos RK, Boratto PV, Assis FL, Aguiar ERGR, Silva LCF, Albarnaz JD, Dornas FP, Trindade GS, Ferreira PP, Marques JT, Robert C, Raoult D, Kroon EG, La Scola B, Abrahão JS (2014) Samba virus: a novel mimivirus from a giant rain forest, the Brazilian Amazon. Virol J 11:95PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kerepesi C, Grolmusz V (2015) The "Giant Virus Finder" Discovers an abundance of giant viruses in the Antarctic dry valleys. arXiv:1503.05575
- 11.Legendre M, Bartoli J, Shmakova L, Jeudy S, Labadie K, Adrait A, Lescot M, Poirot O, Bertaux L, Bruley C, Couté Y, Rivkina E, Abergel C, Claverie J-M (2014) Thirty-thousand-year-old distant relative of giant icosahedral DNA viruses with a pandoravirus morphology. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111(11):4274–4279PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Pandit AS, Joshi MN, Bhargava P, Ayachit GN, Shaikh IM, Saiyed ZM, Saxena AK, Bagatharia SB (2014) Metagenomes from the saline desert of Kutch. Genome Announc 2(3)Google Scholar
- 15.Venter JC, Remington K, Heidelberg JF, Halpern AL, Rusch D, Eisen JA, Wu D, Paulsen I, Nelson KE, Nelson W, Fouts DE, Levy S, Knap AH, Lomas MW, Nealson K, White O, Peterson J, Hoffman J, Parsons R, Baden-Tillson H, Pfannkoch C, Rogers Y-H, Smith HO (2004) Environmental genome shotgun sequencing of the Sargasso Sea. Science 304(5667):66–74CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar