A novel human enterovirus recombinant from a child with diarrhea
Recombination is a well-known phenomenon for enteroviruses. In the present study, a novel recombinant HEV-B strain (ChZJ-1) was found in a 2-year-old child with diarrhea in Zhenjiang, China. The whole genome of ChZJ-1 was determined. Recombination and phylogenetic analysis revealed that ChZJ-1 might have been produced by recombination between coxsackievirus B5 and echovirus 18.
KeywordsEnterovirus Recombinant Phylogenetic analysis
This work was partly supported by the Ph.D. Programs Foundation of the Ministry of Education of China, no. 20113227120008, the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province, no. BK2012289, the Professional Research Foundation for Advanced Talents of Jiangsu University under grant no.12JDG085, and the Special Fund for Preventive Medicine of Jiangsu Province, no. Y2012067.
- 3.Begier EM, Oberste MS, Landry ML, Brennan T, Mlynarski D, Mshar PA, Frenette K, Rabatsky-Ehr T, Purviance K, Nepaul A, Nix WA, Pallansch MA, Ferguson D, Cartter ML, Hadler JL (2008) An outbreak of concurrent echovirus 30 and coxsackievirus A1 infections associated with sea swimming among a group of travelers to Mexico. Clin Infect Dis 47:616–623PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lole KS, Bollinger RC, Paranjape RS, Gadkari D, Kulkarni SS, Novak NG, Ingersoll R, Sheppard HW, Ray SC (1999) Full-length human immunodeficiency virus type 1 genomes from subtype C-infected seroconverters in India, with evidence of intersubtype recombination. J Virol 73:152–160PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Zhao K, Han X, Wang G, Hu W, Zhang W, Yu XF (2011) Circulating coxsackievirus A16 identified as recombinant type A human enterovirus. China. Emerg Infect Dis 17:1537–1540Google Scholar
- 13.McWilliam Leitch EC, Cabrerizo M, Cardosa J, Harvala H, Ivanova OE, Koike S, Kroes AC, Lukashev A, Perera D, Roivainen M, Susi P, Trallero G, Evans DJ, Simmonds P (2012) The association of recombination events in the founding and emergence of subgenogroup evolutionary lineages of human enterovirus 71. J Virol 86:2676–2785PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yozwiak NL, Skewes-Cox P, Gordon A, Saborio S, Kuan G, Balmaseda A, Ganem D, Harris E, DeRisi JL (2010) Human enterovirus 109: a novel interspecies recombinant enterovirus isolated from a case of acute pediatric respiratory illness in Nicaragua. J Virol 84:9047–9058PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar