Characterization of a novel chitinase, DkChi, from Dendrolimus kikuchii nucleopolyhedrovirus
Dendrolimus kikuchii Matsumura nucleopolyhedrovirus (DkNPV) is a novel nucleopolyhedrovirus strain that has exhibited high potential as biological control agent against D. kikuchii. In this work, a 1755-bp DkChi gene with sequence homology to a chitinase gene was cloned from the genomic DNA of DkNPV using a DNA fragment library. The DkChi gene, encoding 558 residues protein with a predicted mass of 61.6 kDa, was expressed at high levels in Escherichia coli and purified by affinity chromatography. We confirmed that the prepared protein was the DkChi protein by mass spectrometry analysis. Enzyme activity analysis showed that DkChi had both endo- and exo-chitinase activities. Interestingly, the DkChi protein displayed a strong insecticidal activity against Spodoptera exigua, Hyphantria cunea, Helicoverpa armigera and Lymantria dispar. The results suggest that DkChi is a good candidate protein for significantly contributing to pest control.
KeywordsChitin Chitinases GlcNAc Insecticidal Activity Peritrophic Membrane
This work was supported by the Program of National Nature Science Foundation of China (grant no. 31200491) and State 863 Project funded by Ministry of Science and Technology (grant no. 2012AA101503), P.R. China.
- 1.Kramer KJ, Muthukrishnan S (2005) Chitin metabolism in insects. In: Gilbert LI, Iatrou K, Gill S (eds) Comprehensive molecular insect science. Elsevier, Oxford, pp 111–144Google Scholar
- 6.Brurberg MB, Synstad B, Klemsdal SS, van Aalten DMF, Sundheim L, Eijsink VGH (2001) Chitinases from Serratia marcescens. Recent Res Dev Microbiol 5:187–204Google Scholar
- 9.Williams SJ, Mark BL, Vocadlo DJ, James MN, Withers SG (2002) Aspartate 313 in the Streptomyces plicatus hexosaminidase plays a critical role in substrate-assisted catalysis by orienting the 2-acetamido group and stabilizing the transition state. J Biol Chem 277:40055–40065PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yang M, Li M, Wang Y, Qu L, Huai K, Nie X, Qiao L, Ding J, Zhang Y (2011) Virulence and characteristics of a new nucleopolyhedrovirus strain of Dendrolimus kikuchii (Lepidoptera: Lasiocampidae). Afr J Microbiol Res 5:2261–2265Google Scholar
- 22.Yang D, Wang Y, Li Y (1986) Studies on the nuclear polyhedrosis virus disease of simao pine caterpil-lcar infected by Dendrolimus kikuchii Matsumura (Lepidoptera: Lasiocampidae). J Yunnan Univ 1:105–110Google Scholar
- 24.Finney DJ (1971) Probit analysis, 3rd edn. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar