Genetic characterization of betanodavirus isolates from Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch) in India
- 356 Downloads
Betanodavirus has been detected in Asian seabass in India. Molecular characterization of the isolates on the basis of the full-length viral RNA2 sequence was performed. Subsequent phylogenetic analysis with sequences from members of the four species in the genus Betanodavirus revealed that the present isolates are closely related to members of the species Redspotted grouper nervous necrosis virus. The analysis also revealed that the RNA2 sequence was not responsible for acute symptoms in seabass. This is the first attempt to characterize Indian isolates of fish nodaviruses, and the result will be useful for devising specific control and health-management strategies for this virus.
KeywordsLatent Infection Nucleotide Sequence Data Indian Isolate Nervous Necrosis Virus Redspotted Grouper Nervous Necrosis Virus
Assistance provided by Dr. K.P. Jithendran, Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai, towards generation of nucleotide sequence data is acknowledged.
- 8.Iwamoto T, Okinaka Y, Mise K, Mori KI, Arimoto M, Okuno T, Nakai T (2004) Identification of host-specificity determinants in betanodaviruses by using reassortants between striped jack nervous necrosis virus and sevenband grouper nervous necrosis virus. J Virol 78:1256–1262PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jithendran KP, Shekhar MS, Kannappan S, Azad IS (2011) Nodavirus infection in freshwater ornamental fishes in india: diagnostic histopathology and nested RT-PCR. Asian Fish Sci 24:12–19Google Scholar
- 13.Maltese C, Bovo G (2007) Monografie: viral encephalopathy and retinopathy. Ittiopatologia 4:93–146Google Scholar
- 17.OIE (2006) Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy manual of diagnostic tests for aquatic animals. Office International des Epizooties, Paris, pp 169–175Google Scholar
- 19.Schneemann A, Ball LA, Delsert C, Johnson JE, Nishizawa T (2005) Family Nodaviridae. In: Fauquet CM, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA (eds) Virus taxonomy, Classification and nomenclature of viruses. Eighth report of the international committe on the taxonomy of viruses. Elsevier Academic Press, London, pp 869–872Google Scholar