Genetic reassortment between Sathuperi and Shamonda viruses of the genus Orthobunyavirus in nature: implications for their genetic relationship to Schmallenberg virus
- 913 Downloads
The recent outbreak of malformations in ruminants in Northern Europe caused by Schmallenberg virus induced us to analyze the genetic properties of the related orthobunyaviruses and clarify their relationship. The sequencing of three genomic RNA segments of Sathuperi, Shamonda and Douglas viruses (SATV, SHAV and DOUV) revealed that the M RNA segment of SATV and DOUV had a high degree of sequence identity with that of Schmallenberg virus, but the S and L RNA segments closely matched those of SHAV. Phylogenetic analysis of the three genomic RNA segments indicated that Schmallenberg virus is a reassortant, with the M RNA segment from SATV and the S and L RNA segments from SHAV.
KeywordsReverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Nucleocapsid Protein Genetic Reassortment Akabane Virus Simbu Serogroup
We are grateful to Mr. Hirotaka Horiwaki for excellent technical assistance. This work was supported by a fund from the National Agriculture and Food Resource Organization, NARO, Japan.
- 2.Calisher CH (1996) History, classification, and taxonomy of viruses in the family Bunyaviridae. In: Elliott RM (ed) The Bunyaviridae. Plenum Press, New York, pp 1–17Google Scholar
- 6.Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (2012) Update No. 6 on Schmallenberg Virus in Northern Europe. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/files/poa-schmallenberg-update-120311.pdf. Accessed 21 March, 2012
- 7.Elliott RM, Blakqori G (2011) Molecular biology of orthobunyaviruses. In: Phyusnin A, Elliott RM (eds) Bunyaviridae. Caister, Norfolk, pp 1–39Google Scholar
- 14.Parsonson IM, Della-Porta AJ, McPhee DA (1982) Pathogenesis and virulence studies of Australian simbu serogroup bunyaviruses. In: Mackenzie JS (ed) The viral diseases in Southeast Asia and the western pacific. Academic Press, Sydney, pp 644–647Google Scholar
- 15.Plyusnin A, Beaty BJ, Elliott RM, Goldbach R, Kormelink R, Lundkvist Å, Schmaljohn CS, Tesh RB (2012) Bunyaviridae. In: King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowits EJ (eds) Virus taxonomy: ninth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Elsevier Academic Press, London, pp 725–741Google Scholar
- 18.Tsuda T, Yoshida K, Ohashi S, Yanase T, Sueyoshi M, Kamimura S, Misumi K, Hamana K, Sakamoto H, Yamakawa M (2004) Arthrogryposis, hydranencephaly and cerebellar hypoplasia syndrome in neonatal calves resulting from intrauterine infection with Aino virus. Vet Res 35:531–538PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar