RNA silencing suppressor Pns11 of rice gall dwarf virus induces virus-like symptoms in transgenic rice
- 524 Downloads
Transgenic rice (Oryza sativa) plants expressing the Pns11 protein of rice gall dwarf virus (RGDV) displayed multiple abnormal phenotypes, some of which were highly reminiscent of the symptoms observed in RGDV-infected rice. Further analysis indicated that the apparent alterations in plant growth and morphology were correlated with the expression levels of microRNA160, microRNA162, microRNA167, microRNA168, and the microRNA target OsARF8. Especially, the striking dwarfing phenotype depended on the high expression level of microRNA167. By analogy to other categories of plant viruses, the RNA silencing suppressors encoded by plant dsRNA viruses function as pathogenicity determinants. These findings significantly deepen our current mechanistic understanding of the RNA silencing suppressor (VSR) encoded by a dsRNA virus and provide additional evidence that interference with microRNA expression is a VSR function utilized by a diverse range of viruses.
KeywordsTransgenic Plant Rice Plant Cucumber Mosaic Virus Transgenic Rice Plant Rice Stripe Virus
This study was supported in part by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 30370929 and 30671358).
- 11.Fan HZ, Zhang SG, He XZ, Xie SD, Liu CZ, Zhou LG, Zhu D, Liu XR (1983) Rice gall dwarf - A new virus disease epidemic in the west of Guangdong province of South China. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica 4:1–6Google Scholar
- 25.Lu YH, Zhang JF, Xiong RY, Xu QF, Zhou YJ (2011) Identification of an RNA silencing suppressor encoded by southern rice black-streaked dwarf virus S6. Scientia Agricultura Sinica 14:2909–2917Google Scholar
- 39.Wang XB, Zhang LD, Li DW, Han CG, Yu JL (2005) Approaches of research on RNA silencing suppressors encoded by plant viruses. J China Agric Univ 4:31–38Google Scholar
- 40.Wei Y, Chen ZH, Chen GX, Xiong LZ, Wu CY (2011) Study of overexpressing miRNA167a to regulate the architecture in Oryza sativa. Mol Plant Breed 4:390–396Google Scholar
- 41.Wang WJ, Liu T, Guo L, Liu CM (2011) SLC/AGO1 coordinates cell division and expansion in Arabidopsis. Chin Bull Bot 4:370–378Google Scholar