Molecular characterisation of an avihepadnavirus isolated from Psittacula krameri (ring-necked parrot)
- 217 Downloads
Avihepadnaviruses have been documented previously in ducks, herons, geese, storks and cranes. Here, we describe the full genome of a new avihepadnavirus isolated from Psittacula krameri (ring-necked parrot) in Poland. The parrot hepatitis B virus (PHBV) genome (3042 bp) shares <76% sequence identity with other avihepadnavirus isolates and is phylogenetically most closely related to heron and stork hepatitis B viruses isolates. PHBV has a genome organization similar to that of other hepadnaviruses and contains ORFs for a preC/C, preS/S and polyprotein. Additionally, we identified an X-like ORF in the genome of PHBV. The full-genome data will be useful in developing screening tools for avihepadnaviruses in parrots.
KeywordsFull Genome Snow Goose Woolly Monkey Psittacula Krameri Recombination Break Point
Part of this research was supported by an Early Career Grant from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, and a University of Cape Town, South Africa, block grant awarded to AV. BK was supported by funding from the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD). Part of this research was supported by the Polish Ministry of Education and Science (grant no. N308 036 32/3369).
- 3.Fauquet C, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA (2005) Virus taxonomy, eighth report of the ICTV. Elsevier Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 8.Harkins GW, Delport W, Duffy S, Wood N, Monjane AL, Owor BE, Donaldson L, Saumtally S, Triton G, Briddon RW, Shepherd DN, Rybicki EP, Martin DP, Varsani A (2009) Experimental evidence indicating that mastreviruses probably did not co-diverge with their hosts. Virol J 6:104PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ishikawa T, Ganem D (1995) The pre-S domain of the large viral envelope protein determines host range in avian hepatitis B viruses. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 92:6259–6263Google Scholar
- 13.Lanford RE, Chavez D, Brasky KM, Burns RB, Rico-Hesse R (1998) Isolation of a hepadnavirus from the woolly monkey, a New World primate. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95:5757–5761Google Scholar
- 33.Varsani A, Shepherd DN, Monjane AL, Owor BE, Erdmann JB, Rybicki EP, Peterschmitt M, Briddon RW, Markham PG, Oluwafemi S, Windram OP, Lefeuvre P, Lett JM, Martin DP (2008) Recombination, decreased host specificity and increased mobility may have driven the emergence of maize streak virus as an agricultural pathogen. J Gen Virol 89:2063–2074PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar