Complete genome sequence of a banana bract mosaic virus isolate infecting the French plantain cv. Nendran in India
- 459 Downloads
The first complete genome sequence of an Indian isolate (TRY) of Banana bract mosaic virus (BBrMV) was determined following virus RNA extraction from the French plantain cv. Nendran (AAB). The complete genome was 9711 nucleotides excluding the poly(A) tail and had a genome organization similar to that of a Philippine (PHI) isolate characterized earlier. When compared to BBrMV-PHI, the complete genome sequence of BBrMV-TRY was 94% identical at the nucleotide level and its ten mature proteins had amino acid sequence identities ranging from 88 to 98%. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that the BBrMV-TRY isolate is closely related to the BBrMV-PHI isolate.
KeywordsComplete Genome Sequence Amino Acid Sequence Identity Coat Protein Gene Aphid Transmission Putative Cleavage Site
The authors are thankful to the Director of the National Research Centre for Banana (NRCB), Tiruchirapalli, T.N (India), for providing the necessary facilities. The Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) Project No.16 (20/2004-Hort.II) under the network project on “Diagnosis of emerging plant viruses” is duly acknowledged for financial support.
- 3.Magnaye LV, Espino RRC (1990) Note: Banana bract mosaic, a new disease of banana I. Symptomatology. Philippine Agric 73:55–59Google Scholar
- 5.Rodoni BC, Dale JL, Harding RM (1999) Characterization and expression of the coat protein-coding region of banana bract mosaic potyvirus, development of diagnostic assays and detection of the virus in banana plants from five countries in Southeast Asia. Arch Virol 144:1725–1737PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Roperos NI, Magnaye LV (1991) Status of banana diseases in Asia and the Pacific. In: Valmayor R (ed) International network for the improvement of banana and plantain. Montpellier, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 7.Samraj J, Menon MR, Christudas SP, Satyarajan PK (1966) Kokkan, a new disease of banana (Musa paradisiaca Linn.). Agric Res J Kerala 4:116Google Scholar
- 8.Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring HarborGoogle Scholar
- 9.Selvarajan R, Balasubramanian V (2008) Banana viruses. In: Rao GP (ed) Characterization diagnosis & management of plant viruses. Studium Press, Houston, pp 109–124Google Scholar
- 10.Singh SJ, Selvarajan R, Singh HP (2000) Detection of bract mosaic virus (kokkan disease) by electron microscopy and serology. In: Singh HP (eds) Banana-improvement, production and utilization. Proceedings of Conference in AIPUB, Tiruchirappali, India, pp 381–383Google Scholar
- 11.Shukla DD, Ward CR, Brunt AA (1994) The Potyviridae. CAB International, WallingfordGoogle Scholar