Characterization of a bacteriophage, isolated from a cow with mastitis, that is lytic against Staphylococcus aureus strains
- 981 Downloads
Methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) are now the most commonly reported antibiotic-resistant bacterium in clinical settings. Therefore, there is an urgent need to develop novel antibacterial agents to control this pathogen. Bacteriophage therapy is a potential alternative treatment for MRSA infections. The objective of this study was characterization of a novel virulent bacteriophage (MSA6) isolated from a cow with mastitis. Electron microscopy showed its resemblance to members of the family Myoviridae, with an isometric head (66 nm) and a long contractile tail (173 nm). The genome of phage MSA6 was tested by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and estimated to be about 143 kb. It exhibited rapid adsorption (>82% in 5 min), a short latent period (15 min) and a relatively small burst size (23 PFU/cell). Isolated phage was capable of infecting a wide spectrum of staphylococcal strains of both human and bovine origin. The results of this investigation indicate that MSA6 is similar to other bacteriophages belonging to the family Myoviridae (Twort, K, G1, 812) that have been successfully used in bacteriophage therapy.
- 5.Clokie MRJ, Kropinski AM (2009) Bacteriophages: methods and protocols: molecular and applied aspects, vol 2. Humana Press, Totowa, NJGoogle Scholar
- 17.Merabishvili M, Pirnay JP, Verbeken G, Chanishvili N, Tediashvili M, Lashkhi N, Glonti T, Krylov V, Mast J, Van Parys L, Lavigne R, Volckaert G, Mattheus W, Verween G, De Corte P, Rose T, Jennes S, Zizi M, De Vos D, Vaneechoutte M (2009) Quality-controlled small-scale production of a well-defined bacteriophage cocktail for use in human clinical trials. PLoS ONE 4:e4944. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004944 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Międzyborski R, Fortuna W, Weber-Dąbrowska B, Górski A (2007) Phage therapy of staphylococcal infections (including MRSA) may be less expensive than antibiotic treatment. Postepy Hig Med Dosw 61:461–465Google Scholar
- 24.Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular Cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, N.YGoogle Scholar
- 31.Yang H, Liang L, Lin S, Jia S (2010) Isolation and characterization of a virulent bacteriophage AB1 of Acinetobacter baumannii. BMC Microbiol 10:131. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2180/10/131