Molecular characterization of a new strain of sugarcane streak mosaic virus (SCSMV)
- 444 Downloads
The complete nucleotide sequences of three sugarcane streak mosaic virus (SCSMV) isolates found in sugarcane plants imported from Japan (JP1, JP2) and Indonesia (ID) into China were determined. Sequence analysis showed that, based on the whole genome sequence and the nucleotide sequences encoding the ten mature proteins, the three SCSMV isolates shared identities of 81.62%-81.67% and 76.39%-85.93%, respectively, with a Pakistan (PAK) isolate of SCSMV. Phylogenetic analysis indicated that SCSMV-JP1, -JP2 and -ID were clustered in a subgroup separate from the previously described SCSMV-PAK and -India isolates, and may thus represent a new strain of SCSMV.
KeywordsMosaic Virus Maize Dwarf Mosaic Virus Sugarcane Mosaic Virus Coat Protein Gene Sequence Sugarcane Disease
This work was supported by grants from the National Basic Research and Development Program of China (973 Program) (No. 2009CB119200), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 30771403, 30970134 and 31071765), the Earmarked Fund for China Agriculture Research System (CARS-20-2-2), the Earmarked Fund for Yunnan province Agriculture Research System, the Opening Project of State Key Laboratory for Biology of Plant Diseases and Insect Pests, Institute of Plant Protection, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (SKL2010OP14) and NSFC-JSPS Joint Research Project between China and Japan (No. 30811140157).
- 1.Artschwager E, Brandes EW (1958) Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.): origin, characteristics and descriptions of representative clones. USDA agriculture handbook, vol 122, Washington, DC, pp 307Google Scholar
- 2.Chatenet M, Mazarin C, Girard JC, Fernandez E, Gargani D, Rao GP, Royer M, Lockhart B, Rott P (2005) Detection of sugarcane streak mosaic virus in sugarcane from several Asian countries. Proc Int Soc Sugarcane Technol 25:656–662Google Scholar
- 3.Grisham MP (2000) Mosaic. In: Rott P, Bailey RA, Comstock JC, Croft BJ, Saumtally AS (eds) A guide to sugarcane diseases. CIRAD-ISSCT, CIRAD publication Services, Montepellier, France, pp 249–254Google Scholar
- 7.Gillaspie AG Jr, Mock RG, Smith FF (1978) Identification of sugarcane mosaic virus and characterization of strains of the virus from Pakistan, Iran, and Cameroon. Proc Int Soc Sugarcane Technol 16:347–355Google Scholar
- 8.Hema M, Savithri HS, Sreenivasulu P (2001) Sugarcane streak mosaic virus: occurrence, purification, characterization and detection. In: Rao GP, Ford RE, Tosic M, Teakle DS (eds) Sugarcane pathology, vol 2. Virus and phytoplasma diseases. Science publishers, Inc, USA, pp 37–70Google Scholar
- 9.Jenson SG, Hall JS (1993) Identification of a new sorghum infecting species of potyvirus from sugarcane. Phytopathology 83:884Google Scholar