Molecular characterization of enteroviruses detected in Gyeong-Ju and Po-Hang provinces of Korea in 2003
- 146 Downloads
We identified and characterized enteroviruses by amplifying the partial VP1 gene from pediatric patients with aseptic meningitis and other enterovirus-related diseases from the Gyeong-Ju and Po-Hang provinces of Korea in 2003. We identified two strains each of coxsackievirus A (CA) 6, CA9, and CA10; three enterovirus 71 (EV71) strains; and six echovirus 30 (E30) strains. The three EV71 strains were characterized as genogroup C4. These results are the first documentation reporting the occurrence of CA10 and EV71 genogroup C4.
This paper was supported by Konkuk University in 2009.
- 4.Cho KS, Jung MJ (2004) Outbreak pattern of isolated enterovirus causing aseptic meningitis in Busan, 2002 years. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 32:179–183Google Scholar
- 5.Cho KS, Kim MS, Jung GY, Min SK, Ku PT, Kim BJ, Yoon JD, Jee YM, Ki KS, Kin YH, Chung YK (1999) Isolation and identification of aseptic meningitis virus in Pusan, 1998. J Kor Environ Sci Soc 8:165–169Google Scholar
- 6.Chung KW, Moon MS, Ye JS, Joo CH, Lee Heurian, Kim YK (2003) Characterization of Enteroviruses isolated from patients with aseptic meningitis. J Bacteriol Virol 33:345–355Google Scholar
- 7.Iwai M, Masaki A, Hasegawa S, Obara M, Horimoto E, Nakamura K, Tanaka Y, Endo K, Tanaka K, Ueda J, Shiraki K, Kurata T, Takizawa T (2009) Genetic changes of coxsackievirus A16 and enterovirus 71 isolated from hand, foot, and mouth disease patients in Toyama, Japan between 1981 and 2007. Jpn J Infect Dis 62:254–259PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kim MB, Kim KS, Kim CM, Suh SD, Yoon JD, Shin HK (1994) Detection of Enteroviral RNA by PCR in samples from patients with aseptic meningitis in Korea, 1993. J Kor Soc Virol 24:77–86Google Scholar
- 11.Knipe DM, Howley PM (2001) Fields virology. vol 1, 4th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kumar S, Tamura K, Masatoshi N (1993) MEGA: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis, version 1.01. Pennsylvania State University, University ParkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Morens DM, Pallansch MA (1995) Epidemiology. In: Rotbart HA (ed) Human enterovirus infections. ASM Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yoo HS, Kim KH, Lee HS (1995) An epidemic of aseptic meningitis in 1993. Korean J Infect Dis 27:365–370Google Scholar