Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of Newcastle disease virus genotypes isolated in Malaysia between 2004 and 2005
- 284 Downloads
Sequence analysis of the fusion (F) gene of eight Malaysian NDV isolates showed that all the isolates were categorized as velogenic viruses, with the F cleavage site motif 112R-R-Q-K-R116 or 112R-R-R-K-R116 at the C-terminus of the F2 protein and phenylalanine (F) at residue 117 at the N-terminus of the F1 protein. Phylogenetic analysis revealed that all of the isolates were grouped in two distinct clusters under sub-genotype VIId. The isolates were about 4.8–11.7% genetically distant from sub-genotypes VIIa, VIIb, VIIc and VIIe. When the nucleotide sequences of the eight Malaysian isolates were compared phylogenetically to those of the old published local isolates, it was found that genotype VIII, VII, II and I viruses exist in Malaysia and caused sporadic infections. It is suggested that genotype VII viruses were responsible for most of the outbreaks in recent years.
KeywordsNewcastle Disease Virus Newcastle Disease Newcastle Disease Virus Strain Live Vaccine Strain Newcastle Disease Virus Isolate
This research was supported by grant number 01-2-04-03-BTK/ER/006 from the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Government of Malaysia.
- 1.Anonymous (2004) Multiannual Animal Disease Status, OIE. http://www.oie.int/eng/normes/mmanual/A_00038.htm
- 2.Anonymous (2004) Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals, Newcastle Disease, OIE. http://www.oie.int/eng/normes/mmanual/A_00038.htm
- 6.Alexander DJ (1997) Newcastle disease and other Paramyxoviridae infections. In: Calnek BW (ed) Diseases of Poultry, 10th edn. Iowa State University Press, Ames, pp 541–569Google Scholar
- 20.Lomniczi B, Wehmann E, Herczeg J, Ballagi-Pordany A, Kaleta EF, Werner O, Meulemans G, Jorgensen PH, Mante AP, Gielkens ALJ, Capua I, Damoser J (1998) Newcastle disease outbreaks in recent years in Western Europe were caused by a (VI) and a novel genotype (VIII). Arch Virol 143:49–64CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Maizan M, Sharifah SH, Ong GH, Fuad R, Suriani MN (2001) Genetic and phylogenetic analysis of Newcastle disease virus isolated from recent outbreaks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International congress/13th VAM congress and CVA-Australasia/oceania regional symposium, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp 67–69Google Scholar
- 26.Pedersen JC, Senne DA, Woolcock PR, Kinde H, King DJ, Wise MG, Panigrahy B, Seal BS (2004) Phylogenetic relationships among virulent Newcastle disease virus isolates from the 2002–2003 outbreak in California and other recent outbreaks in North America. J Clin Microbiol 42:2329–2334CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar