Agroinfection of cloned Sri Lankan cassava mosaic virus DNA to Arabidopsis thaliana, Nicotiana tabacum and cassava
- 274 Downloads
Sri Lankan cassava mosaic virus (SLCMV) is a bipartite begomovirus infecting cassava in India and Sri Lanka. We have used Agrobacterium-mediated inoculation (agroinoculation) of cloned SLCMV DNA to inoculate additional hosts, Nicotiana tabacum and Arabidopsis. Although SLCMV infection in these hosts caused stunting, leaf deformation and developmental abnormalities, accumulation levels of viral DNA in the infected plants suggested that this virus was poorly adapted to them. In the natural host, cassava, agroinoculation produced infection at a low frequency. The monopartite nature of SLCMV, reported earlier in N. benthamiana, was maintained in the new hosts as well as in cassava.
KeywordsBenthamiana Plant Symptomatic Plant Cassava Mosaic Disease Nucleotide Residue Biolistic Method
B. K. B. is thankful for the award of a Research Fellowship by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi.
- 9.Malathi VG, Nair NG, Shanta P (1985) Cassava mosaic disease. Technical Bulletin Series 5, Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Trivandrum, India, pp 18Google Scholar
- 11.Park J, Hwang H, Shim H, Im K, Auh C, Lee S, Davis KR (2004) Altered cell shapes, hyperplasia and secondary growth in Arabidopsis caused by beet curly top geminivirus infection. Mol Cell 17:117–124Google Scholar
- 13.Patil BL, Dutt N, Briddon RW, Bull SE, Rothenstein D, Borah BK, Dasgupta I, Stanley J, Jeske H (2007) Deletion and recombination events between the DNA-A and DNA-B components of Indian cassava-infecting geminiviruses generate defective molecules in Nicotiana benthamiana. Virus Res 124:59–67PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Roberts CS, Rajagopal S, Smith LA (1998) A comprehensive set of modular vectors for advanced manipulations and efficient transformation of plants by both Agrobacterium and direct DNA uptake methods. CAMBIA Vector Release Manual Version 3.5Google Scholar
- 17.Sambrook J, Russell R (2001) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Press, Cold Spring HarborGoogle Scholar