High prevalence of hepatitis B virus pre-S mutation and its association with hepatocellular carcinoma in Qidong, China
- 165 Downloads
We investigated the frequency and the clinical relevance of hepatitis B virus (HBV) pre-S mutations in Qidong, China. The results showed HBV pre-S mutants were detected in 48.4% (47/97) of patients with HBV infection. Both pre-S deletion and pre-S2 start codon mutations were more frequently found in HCC than in CH patients (51.1% vs. 18.0%, P < 0.01 and 21.2% vs. 8.0%, P = 0.06). In most cases, pre-S mutants coexisted with the wild-type HBV strain. Longitudinal observation clearly revealed that in four of five cases, HBV deletion mutants emerged during the course of HBV infection and eventually became the predominant or exclusive viral population at the stage of HCC. Thus, it was concluded that HBV pre-S mutations were highly prevalent and closely related to HCC in Qidong. Our results also provided direct evidence that pre-S deletion mutants were not acquired from the beginning of infection but arose de novo during the progression of liver disease.
KeywordsViral Population Basal Core Promoter Qidong Area
This work was supported by grant 30471951 from the National Natural Science Foundation of China and grant 80-1 from the National Laboratory of Oncogenes and Related Genes. The authors thank Dr. John Groopman, Thomas Kensler and Jinbing Wang for their contributions to the prospective cohort in Qidong.
- 7.Chen JG, Kuang SY, Egner PA, Lu JH, Zhu YR, Wang JB, Zhang BC, Chen TY, Munoz A, Kensler TW, Groopman JD (2007) Acceleration to death from liver cancer in people with hepatitis B viral mutations detected in plasma by mass spectrometry. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1213–1218PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chinese Society of Hepatology, Chinese Medical Association and Chinese Society of Infectious Diseases, Chinese Medical Association (2007) Guideline on prevention and treatment of chronic hepatitis. Chin Med J 120:2159–2173Google Scholar
- 15.Guo X, Jin Y, Qian G, Xu L, Tu H (2007) Full-geneome sequence analysis of hepatitis B virus isolated from hepatocellular carcinoma in high incidence area Qidong. Tumor in Chinese with English abstract 27:4Google Scholar
- 18.Hung JH, Su IJ, Lei HY, Wang HC, Lin WC, Chang WT, Huang W, Chang WC, Chang YS, Chen CC, Lai MD (2004) Endoplasmic reticulum stress stimulates the expression of cyclooxygenase–2 through activation of NF-kappaB and pp38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 279:46384–46392PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Huy TT, Ushijima H, Win KM, Luengrojanakul P, Shrestha PK, Zhong ZH, Smirnov AV, Taltavull TC, Sata T, Abe K (2003) High prevalence of hepatitis B virus pre-s mutant in countries where it is endemic and its relationship with genotype and chronicity. J Clin Microbiol 41:5449–5455PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Milich DR, McNamara MK, McLachlan A, Thornton GB, Chisari FV (1985) Distinct H-2-linked regulation of T-cell responses to the pre-S and S regions of the same hepatitis B surface antigen polypeptide allows circumvention of nonresponsiveness to the S region. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82:8168–8172PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar