Susceptibility of cyprinid cultured cells to cyprinid herpesvirus 3
- 211 Downloads
Cyprinid herpesvirus 3 is a highly contagious and lethal virus that affects ornamental koi and common carp worldwide. However, it is not yet known whether other cyprinids are infected and/or harbor the virus. Here, we report that cultured cells derived from common carp, koi, silver carp and goldfish allow CyHV-3 propagation, while cyprinid cells derived from fathead minnow and non-cyprinid cells derived from the channel catfish ovary are resistant to CyHV-3 infection. Interestingly, the epithelioma papulosum Cyprini cells derived from Cyprinus carpio are restrictive to the virus. These results indicate that CyHV-3 is not restricted to common carp and koi, but other cyprinids are also vulnerable to the virus.
KeywordsCommon Carp Grass Carp Silver Carp Epithelioma Papulosum Cyprini Epithelioma Papulosum Cyprini Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aoki T, Hirono I, Kurokawa K, Fukuda H, Nahary R, Eldar A, Davison AJ, Waltzek TB, Bercovier H, Hedrick RP (2007) Genome sequences of three koi herpesvirus isolates representing the expanding distribution of an emerging disease threatening koi and common carp worldwide. J Virol [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- Hasegawa, S, Somamoto, T, Nakayasu, C, Nakanishi, T, Okamoto, N 1997A cell line (CFK) from fin of isogeneic ginbuna crusian carpFish Pathol32127128Google Scholar
- Ishioka, T, Yoshizumi, M, Izumi, S, Suzuki, K, Suzuki, H, Kozawa, K, Arai, M, Nobusawa, K, Morita, Y, Kato, M, Hoshino, T, Iida, T, Kosuge, K, Kimura, H 2005Detection and sequence analysis of DNA polymerase and major envelope protein genes in koi herpesviruses derived from Cyprinus carpio in Gunma prefecture, JapanVet Microbiol1102733PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neukirch, M, Bottcher, K, Bunnajirakul, S 1999Isolation of a virus from koi with altered gillsBull Eur Ass Fish Pathol19221224Google Scholar
- Perelberg, A, Smirnov, M, Hutoran, M, Diamant, A, Bejerano, I, Kotler, M 2003Epidemiological description of a new viral disease afflicting cultured Cyprinus carpio in IsraelIsr J Aquacult Bamidgeh55512Google Scholar
- Ronen, A, Perelberg, A, Hutoran, M, Shapira, Y, Steinitz, M, Levavi-Sivan, B, Pikarsky, E, Kotler, M 2005Prevention of a mortal disease of carps induced by the carp interstitial and gill necrosis virus (CNGV) in IsraelBull Fish Agen Suppl2911Google Scholar