Molecular analysis of a full-length sequence of a new yam badnavirus from Dioscorea sansibarensis
- 373 Downloads
Badnavirus-like particles were observed by ISEM in viral preparations from yam (Dioscorea sansibarensis) leaves from Benin. Use of the viral preparation as template for PCR amplification with badnavirus-specific primers gave rise to a 579-bp product with most nucleotide identity (70.8%) to Dioscorea alata bacilliform virus (DaBV, Accession numbers X94575–X94582), the only other yam badnavirus sequenced to date. A full-length badnavirus sequence was generated, which consisted of 7261 nucleotides with a typical Badnavirus genome organisation. The full-length sequence shared most identity (61.9%) to DaBV (Accession numbers X94575–X94582) and hence represents a member of a new badnavirus species termed Dioscorea sansibarensis bacilliform virus (DsBV).
KeywordsRice Tungro Bacilliform Virus Natural Resource Institute Banana Streak Virus Total Plant DNAs Cacao Swell Shoot Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burkill, HM 1985The useful plants of west tropical Africa2Royal Botanic GardensKewGoogle Scholar
- Fauquet C, Mayo M, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball L (2005) Virus Taxonomy. Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1259 ppGoogle Scholar
- Gawel, NJ, Jarret, RL 1991A modified CTAB DNA extraction procedure for Musa and Ipomoea Plant Mol Biol Rep9262266Google Scholar
- Harrison, BD, Roberts, IM 1973Association of virus-like particles with internal brown spot of yam (Dioscorea alata)Trop Agric50335340Google Scholar
- Kenyon L, Shoyinka SA, Hughes J d’A, Odu BO (2001) An overview of viruses infecting yams in Sub-Saharan Africa. 1st Symposium of Plant Virology for Sub-Saharan Africa (PVSSA), IITA, Ibadan Nigeria, 4–8 June 2001. http://www.iita.org/info/virology/pdf_files/432-439.pdf
- Lebas BSM (2002) Diversity of viruses infecting Dioscorea species in the South Pacific. PhD Thesis, University of Greenwich, Greenwich, 302 ppGoogle Scholar
- Mantell SH, Haque SQ (1979) Internal brown spot disease of Yams. CARDI/ODM, St Augustine, Trinidad, Yam Virus Project Bull No. 3Google Scholar
- Perrier, X, Flori, A, Bonnot, F 2003Data analysis methodsHamon, PSeguin, MPerrier, XGlaszmann, JC eds. Genetic diversity of cultivated tropical plantsEnfield ScienceMontpellier4376Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J, Fritsch, EF, Maniatis, T 1989Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual2Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory PressCold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar