Coat protein gene diversity among Chrysanthemum virus B isolates from India
- 150 Downloads
The complete coat protein (CP) sequences from 29 Indian isolates of Chrysanthemum virus B (CVB) were determined and analysed in relation to other previously characterized carlaviruses. The CP genes of the Indian CVB isolates were highly heterogeneous, sharing nucleotide sequence identities of 74–98%. Based on phylogenetic analyses, the isolates formed three groups potentially representing either two or three major CVB strain groupings. Recombination analysis revealed at least one definite recombination event involving the exchange of sequences between members of different groups. To our knowledge this is the first reported evidence of homologous recombination in carlaviruses.
KeywordsCoat Protein Coat Protein Gene Coat Protein Sequence Tomato Spot Wilt Virus Turnip Mosaic Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Felsenstein, J 1989PHYLIP – Phylogeny inference package (version 3.2)Cladistics5164166Google Scholar
- Koenig R (1982) Carlavirus group. CMI/AAB Description of plant viruses no. 259Google Scholar
- Martelik, J, Mokra, V 1998Tomato spotted wilt virus in ornamental plants, vegetables and weeds in the Czech RepublicActa Virol42347351Google Scholar
- Maynard Smith, J 1992Analysing the mosaic structure of genesJ Mol Evol34126129Google Scholar
- Ohshima, K, Yamaguchi, Y, Hirota, R, Hamamoto, T, Tomimura, K, Tan, Z, Sano, T, Azuhata, F, Walsh, JA, Fletcher, J, Chen, J, Gera, A, Gibbs, A 2002Molecular evolution of Turnip mosaic virus: evidence of host adaptation, genetic recombination and geographical spreadJ Gen Virol8315111521PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Raizada, RK, Srivastava, KM, Chandra, G, Singh, BP 1989Comparative evaluation of sero-diagnostic methods for detection of Chrysanthemum virus B in chrysanthemumIndian J Exp Biol2710941096Google Scholar
- Singh HP (2000) Current status of floriculture – national and international scenario. In: Singh HP, Dadlani NK (eds) Commercial floriculture. FAO and DAC, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, New Delhi, pp 1–26Google Scholar
- Verhoeven, JTJ, Roenhorst, JW, Cortes, I, Peters, D 1996Detection of a novel tospovirus in chrysanthemumActa Hort4324451Google Scholar