The complete sequence of a Spanish isolate of Broad bean wilt virus 1 (BBWV-1) reveals a high variability and conserved motifs in the genus Fabavirus
- First Online:
The genome of a Spanish isolate of Broad bean wilt virus-1 (BBWV-1) was completely sequenced and compared with available sequences of other isolates of the genus Fabavirus (BBWV-1 and BBWV-2). This consisted of two RNAs of 5814 and 3431 nucleotides, respectively, and their organization was similar to that of other members of the family Comoviridae. Its mean nucleotide identity with a BBWV-1 American isolate was 81.5%, and between 59.8 and 63.5% with seven BBWV-2 isolates. Our analysis showed sequence stretches in the 5′ non-coding regions which are conserved in both genomic RNAs and in BBWV-1 and BBWV-2 isolates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldbach RW, Wellink J (1996) Comoviruses: molecular biology and replication. In: Harrison BH, Murant AF (eds), Polyhedral virions and bipartite RNA genomes: the plant viruses, vol. 5. Plenum Press, New York, pp 35–76Google Scholar
- Lee, U, Hong, JS, Choi, JK, Kim, KC, Kim, YS, Curtis, IS, Nam, HG, Lim, PO 2000Broad bean wilt virus causes necrotic symptoms and generates defective RNAs in Capsicum annuum.Phytopathology9013901395Google Scholar
- Lisa V, Boccardo G (1996) Fabaviruses: Broad bean wilt virus and allied viruses. In: Harrison BH, Murant AF (eds), Polyhedral virions and bipartite RNA genomes: the plant viruses, vol. 5. Plenum Press, New York, pp 229–250Google Scholar
- Moreno, P, Guerri, J, Muñoz, N 1990Identification of Spanish strains of citrus tristeza virus (CTV) by analysis of double-stranded RNAs (dsRNA).Phytopahology80477482Google Scholar
- Nakamura, S, Iwai, T, Honkura, R 1998Complete nucleotide sequence and genome organization of broad bean wilt virus 2.Ann Phytopathol Soc Jpn64565568Google Scholar
- Qi, Y, Zhou, X, Xue, C, Li, D 2000Nucleotide sequence of RNA2 and polyprotein processing sites of a Chinese isolate of broad bean wilt virus 2.Prog Nat Sci10680686Google Scholar
- Rubio, L, Luis-Arteaga, M, Cambra, M, Serra, J, Moreno, P, Guerri, J 2002First Report of Broad bean wilt virus 1 in Spain.Plant Dis86698Google Scholar
- Wellink J, Le Gall O, Sanfacon H, Ikegami M, Jones AT (2000) Family Comoviridae. In: van Regenmortel MHV, Fauquet CM, Bishop DHL, Carstens EB, Estes MK, Lemon SM, Maniloff J, Mayo MA, McGeoch DJ, Pringle CR, Wickner RB (eds), Virus taxonomy. Seventh Report of the International Comittee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Academic Press, pp 695–697Google Scholar