Promoter activity in the 5′ flanking regions of the Bohle iridovirus ICP 18, ICP 46 and major capsid protein genes
- 115 Downloads
Bohle iridovirus (BIV) belongs to the genus Ranavirus, of which Frog virus 3 (FV-3) is the type species. We are developing BIV as a recombinant viral delivery vector, and as a first step we located specific BIV promoter sequences to drive foreign gene expression in the recombinant virus. By comparison with FV-3 sequences, the genes encoding ICP 18 and ICP 46 in BIV were identified and sequenced. Putative promoter regions of these two early genes and of the major capsid protein (MCP) gene were identified, cloned into pSFM21, and luciferase production was then used to assess the promoter activity of these regions.
KeywordsPromoter Activity Flank Region Type Species Promoter Sequence Foreign Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jancovich, JK, Davidson, EW, Morado, JF, Jacobs, BL, Collins, JP 1998Isolation of lethal virus from the endangered salamander Ambystoma tigrinum stebbinsi.Dis Aquat Organ31161167Google Scholar
- Langdon, JS, Humphrey, JD, Williams, LM 1986First virus isolation from Australian fish: an iridovirus-like pathogen from redfin perch, Perca fluviatilis L.J Fish Dis9263268Google Scholar
- Moody, NJG, Owens, L 1994Experimental demonstration of the pathogenicity of a frog virus, Bohle iridovirus, for a fish species, barramundi Lates calcarifer.Dis Aquat Organ1895102Google Scholar
- Speare, R, Smith, JR 1992An iridovirus-like agent isolated from the ornate burrowing frog Limnodynastes ornatus in northern Australia.Dis Aquat Organ145157Google Scholar
- Williams T, Chinchar VG, Darai G, Hyatt A, Kalmakoff J, Seligy V (2000) Family Iridoviridae. In: Van Regenmortel MHV et al. (eds) Virus taxonomy. Seventh report of the international committee on taxonomy of viruses. Academic Press, San Diego, pp 167–182Google Scholar
- Willis, D, Foglesong, D, Granoff, A 1984Nucleotide sequence of an immediate-early frog virus 3 gene.J Virol53905912Google Scholar
- Willis DB, Thompson JP, Beckman W (1990) Transcription of frog virus 3. In: Darai G (ed) Molecular biology of iridoviruses. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp 173–185Google Scholar