Spatial variability analysis of precipitation and its concentration in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province, Iran
- 40 Downloads
The spatial variability of annual precipitation and precipitation concentration has been analyzed in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province using data from 42 stations between 1981 and 2012. For this purpose, the correlation decay distance (CDD) and the coefficient of variation of annual precipitation have been computed at each station to show the inter-annual variability of precipitation. Results showed an increasing gradient from the southwest to the northeast in inter-annual precipitation variability. The degree of seasonality of precipitation and the year-to-year precipitation concentration variability were also investigated using the precipitation concentration index (PCI) and the coefficient of variation of PCI, respectively. The spatial distributions of intra-annual precipitation variability (or precipitation concentration) and inter-annual precipitation concentration showed a decreasing gradient from the southeast to the northwest. The T-mode principal component analysis (PCA) in association with cluster analysis (CA) was used to delineate homogeneous precipitation sub-zones for simplifying the spatial structure of precipitation variability over the region during the considered period. Results suggest three distinct sub-regions, including the northeastern part (the driest sub-region with the highest precipitation variability), the central and southern parts (the sub-region with the highest degree of seasonality of precipitation), and the northwestern part (the rainiest sub-region with the lowest inter-annual and intra-annual precipitation variability).
The authors would like to extend their sincere gratitude to IRIMO (I.R. of Iran Meteorological Organization) for supplying necessary data to do this research work.
- Alahbakhshian Farsani P, Habibnejad Roshan M, Vahbzade G, Solaimani K (2013) Investigation of trend of precipitation variation using non-parametric methods in Charmahal o Bakhtiari Province. Int J Adv Biol Biomed Res 1(5):547–555Google Scholar
- Liu Y, Li Z, Xiong H, Gao X, Wu J (2010) Understanding of internal clustering validation measures. In: 2010 IEEE 10th International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), IEEE, pp 911–916. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2010.35
- Raziei T (2017) A precipitation regionalization and regime for Iran based on multivariate analysis. Theor Appl Climatol 131(3-4):1429–1448Google Scholar
- Shadnoush G, Jouri MH, Askarizadeh D, Rahimi Kakroodi V (2015) Seasonal changes of nutritive values and digestibility of range forage of Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province, Iran. J Rangeland Sci 5(2):94–104Google Scholar
- Shahid S (2009) Spatio-temporal variability of rainfall over Bangladesh during the time period 1969-2003. Asia-Pac J Atmos Sci 45(3):375–389Google Scholar