Manifestation of reanalyzed QBO and SSC signals
- 196 Downloads
Global spatial distribution of oscillations in the period bands linked to the quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO) and to the 11-year sunspot cycle (SSC) was investigated using the pseudo-2D wavelet transform. The results were obtained for the ERA-40, NCEP-DOE 2, NCEP/NCAR, and Twentieth Century Reanalysis V2 datasets. Those included time series of air temperature and zonal and meridional wind velocities were examined for all reanalyzed series from 1,000 up to 10 hPa. Most of the datasets covered the second half of the twentieth century. The results are generally in agreement with other related studies, and they point to the presence of the QBO in the tropical stratosphere along with the regions of induced changes in residual circulation, temperature, or ozone amount across extratropics. The SSC imprint is located mainly over similar locations showing that the cycles’ signals are mutually affected there.
KeywordsZonal Wind Polar Vortex Total Solar Irradiance Vertical Wind Shear Horizontal Temperature Gradient
The authors would like to express their gratitude to the Czech Science Foundation, which supported this study through grant no. GACR 209/11/0956; to Charles University in Prague, which supported this study through project UNCE 204020/2012; and also to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic, which supported this study through research plan no. MSM0021620860. The presented work would not be possible without the utilized datasets: 20CR, NCEP/NCAR, NCEP-DOE reanalyses (obtained from NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/), and ERA-40 reanalysis (downloaded from the page of the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, http://data-portal.ecmwf.int/data/d/era40_moda/).
- Benestad RE (2006) Solar activity and Earth’s climate. Praxis Publishing Ltd., ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- Brönnimann S, Grant AN, Compo GP, Ewen T, Griesser T, Fischer AM, Schraner M, Stickler A (2012) A multi-data set comparison of the vertical structure of temperature variability and change over the Arctic during the past 100 years. Clim Dyn. doi: 10.1007/s00382-012-1291-6
- Compo GP, Whitaker JS, Sardeshmukh PD, Matsui N, Allan RJ, Yin X, Gleason BE, Vose RS, Rutledge G, Bessemoulin P, Brönnimann S, Brunet M, Crouthamel RI, Grant AN, Groisman PY, Jones PD, Kruk M, Kruger AC, Marshall GJ, Maugeri M, Mok HY, Nordli Ø, Ross TF, Trigo RM, Wang XL, Woodruff SD, Worley SJ (2011) The twentieth century reanalysis project. Q J R Meteorol Soc 137:1–28. doi: 10.1002/qj.776 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ISAC Final Report (2007) Danish National Space Center, Scientific Report 2/2007. Available via http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/research/projects/isac.aspx (last visited in November 2011)
- Huang FT, Mayr HG, Reber CA, Russell JM, Mlynczak M, Mengel JG (2008) Ozone quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO), semiannual oscillations (SAO), and correlations with temperature in the mesosphere, lower thermosphere, and stratosphere, based on measurements from SABER on TIMED and MLS on UARS. J Geophys Res 113:A01316. doi: 10.1029/2007JA012634 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kalnay E, Kanamitsu M, Kistler R, Collins W, Deaven D, Gandin L, Iredell M, Saha S, White G, Woollen J, Zhu Y, Leetmaa A, Reynolds B, Chelliah M, Ebisuzaki W, Higgins W, Janowiak J, Mo KC, Ropelewski C, Wang J, Jenne R, Joseph D (1996) The NCEP/NCAR 40-years reanalysis project. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 77:437–471CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kodera K, Kuroda Y (2002) Dynamical response to the solar cycle. J Geophys Res. doi: 10.1029/2002JD002224
- Lim GH, Suh Y (2006) Evidence of an 11-year solar cycle of tropical 150-hPa geopotential height, temperature, and wind. J Korean Meteorol Soc 42:169–181Google Scholar
- Mallat S (1999) A wavelet tour of signal processing. Academic, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Percival DB, Walden AT (2000) Wavelet methods for time series analysis. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar