Inter-decadal variability of summer rainfall in Eastern China detected by the Lepage test
- 475 Downloads
On the basis of the latest observational datasets, the inter-decadal changes of summer rainfall in East China in the past 50 years are analyzed using the Lepage test. The two traditional methods moving t-test and Mann-Kendall test are also performed on the rainfall data as a comparison. Results indicate four inter-decadal abrupt changes of summer rainfall that occurred near 1979, 1983, 1993, and 1999, and each of them is characterized by remarkable regional features. The abrupt change of summer rainfall around 1979 is accompanied by significant rainfall increase in Yangtze–Huai River Valley and a decrease in its flank. The one near 1983 shows similar structures of the rainfall changes to that near 1979, but with more significant changes in the South China and Northeast China (NEC). The inter-decadal change around 1993 brings a notable increase of summer rainfall to the South China; and the abrupt shift near 1999 exhibits significant decrease in summer rainfall over a large part of North China and NEC. The spatial–temporal features of the inter-decadal changes in summer rainfall are also investigated. Consistent results are observed. Moreover, results indicate that, on the inter-decadal scale, the rainfall variability mode changes from typical tripole to dipole structure since the early 1990s.
KeywordsSummer Rainfall East Asian Summer Monsoon Western North Pacific Rainfall Change Shift Period
The authors are grateful to Dr. Jinbao Li and two anonymous reviewers for their insightful comments that led to a significant improvement of the manuscript. This work was supported by the CAS Innovation Key Program (Grant No. KZCX2-YW-BR-14), the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Projects) under Grant Nos. 2010CB95043 and 2009CB421405, and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 40890155, 40775051 and U7033002).
- Chen L, Dong M, Shao Y (1992) The characteristics of interannual variations on the East Asian monsoon. J Meteorol Soc Jpn 70(1B):397–421Google Scholar
- Hirakawa K (1974) The comparison of powers of distribution-free two-sample tests. TRU Mathematics 10:65–82Google Scholar
- Huang RH, Xu YH, Zhou LT (1999) The interdecadal variation of summer precipitation in China and the drought trend in North China. Plateau Meteorology 18(004):465–476Google Scholar
- Huang RH, Zhou LT, Chen W (2003) The progresses of recent studies on the variabilities of the East Asian monsoon and their causes. Adv Atmos Sci 20(1):55–69Google Scholar
- Kendall M (1975) Rank correlation measures. Charles Griffin, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Nitta T, Hu ZZ (1996) Summer climate variability in China and its association with 500 hPa height and tropical convection. J Meteorol Soc Jpn 74(4):425–445Google Scholar
- Yonetani T (1992) Discontinuous changes of precipitation in Japan after 1900 detected by the Lepage test. J Meteorol Soc Jpn 70(1):95–104Google Scholar
- Yonetani T (1993) Detection of long-term trend, cyclic variation and step-like change by the Lepage test. J Meteorol Soc Jpn 71(3):415–418Google Scholar