Squall lines and rainfall over Western Africa during summer 1986 and 87
- First Online:
- 53 Downloads
Using digitized IR images from the European satellite Meteosat, 153 squall lines (SLs) were observed over Western Africa during July, August and September 1986 and 87. The SL mean rainfall volume was computed using the daily rainfall amounts of more than 800 raingauges: 15 km3 in 1986 and 22.5 km3 in 1987. A mean amount of 15 mm was collected per rainy episode at a given station, however, as only about half of the stations situated under a SL experienced a rainy episode, the rainfall amount averaged along the total SL’s swath was 6.8 mm.
With the help of the 8 daily Meteosat slots the SL’s area daily variation could be estimated: namely a minimum around noon and a maximum around midnight. Using the SLs displacements (east–west) one had access to the daily variation of the rainfall volume, a minimum in the morning and a maximum toward the end of the afternoon, as already found by several authors who used Meteosat images.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASECNA1975Analyse des lignes de grains dans la boucle du Niger.La Météorologie (VIème série)6183189Google Scholar
- Desbois, M, Kayiranga, T, Gnamien, B, Guessous, S, Picon, L 1993Characterization of some elements of the Sahelian climate and their interannual variations for July 1983, 1984 and 1985 from the analysis of Meteosat ISCCP data.J Climate9867904Google Scholar
- Desbois, M, Kayiranga, T, Gnamien, B 1989Diurnal cycle of convective cloudiness over tropical Africa observed from Meteosat: Geographic characterization and interannual variations.Ann Geophys7395404Google Scholar
- Fink AH, Reiner A (2003) Spatio-temporal variability of the relation between African Easterly waves and West African squall lines in 1998 and 1999. J Geophys Res 108: O. D11, 4332 (DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002816)Google Scholar
- Hamilton, RA, Archbold, JW 1945Meteorology of Nigeria and adjacent territory.Q J Roy Meteor Soc71231264Google Scholar
- Houze, RA,Jr, Betts, AK 1981Convection in GATE.Rev Geophys Space Phys19541576Google Scholar
- Houze, RA,Jr, Hobbs, PV 1982Organization and structure of precipitating cloud systems.Adv Geophys24225315Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- McCollum, JR, Gruber, A, Ba, MB 2000Discrepancy between gauges and satellite estimates of rainfall in Equatorial Africa.J Appl Meteor39666679Google Scholar
- Nicholson SE, Kim J, Hoopingarner J (1988) Atlas of African rainfall and its interannual variability. Dept. Meteorology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, 237 pGoogle Scholar