The plasma alpha-synuclein levels in patients with Parkinson’s disease and multiple system atrophy
- First Online:
- 453 Downloads
α-Synuclein, a synaptic protein of unknown function, is a major component of Lewy bodies and may play a role in the pathophysiological process of Parkinson’s disease (PD). In this study, we measured the plasma α-synuclein levels in 105 patients with PD, 38 patients with multiple system atrophy (MSA), and 51 age-matched controls. The α-synuclein level was significantly elevated in patients with PD (79.9 ± 4.0 pg/ml, p < 0.001) and in those with MSA (78.1 ± 3.5 pg/ml, p = 0.019) compared with the level in controls (76.1 ± 3.9 pg/ml). The α-synuclein level was higher in patients with PD than in those with MSA (79.9 ± 4.0 vs 78.1 ± 3.5, p = 0.016). Our study demonstrated that the α-synuclein level in plasma is elevated in patients with PD and MSA.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chartier-Harlin, MC, Kachergus, J, Roumier, C, Mouroux, V, Douay, X, Lincoln, S, Levecque, C, Larvor, L, Andrieux, J, Hulihan, M, Waucquier, N, Defebvre, L, Amouyel, P, Farrer, M, Destee, A 2004Alpha-synuclein locus duplication as a cause of familial Parkinson’s diseaseLancet36411671169PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El-Agnaf, OM, Salem, SA, Paleologou, KE, Cooper, LJ, Fullwood, NJ, Gibson, MJ, Curran, MD, Court, JA, Mann, DM, Ikeda, S, Cookson, MR, Hardy, J, Allsop, D 2003Alpha-synuclein implicated in Parkinson’s disease is present in extracellular biological fluids, including human plasmaFASEB J1719451947PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Motter, R, Vigo-Pelfrey, C, Kholodenko, D, Barbour, R, Johnson-Wood, K, Galasko, D, Chang, L, Miller, B, Clark, C, Green, R, Olson, D, Southwick, P, Wolfert, R, Munroe, B, Lieberburg, I, Seubert, P, Schenk, D 1995Reduction of beta-amyloid peptide42 in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Alzheimer’s diseaseAnn Neurol38643648PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Polymeropoulos, MH, Lavedan, C, Leroy, E, Ide, SE, Dehejia, A, Dutra, A, Pike, B, Root, H, Rubenstein, J, Boyer, R, Stenroos, ES, Chandrasekharappa, S, Athanassiadou, A, Papapetropoulos, T, Johnson, WG, Lazzarini, AM, Duvoisin, RC, Di Iorio, G, Golbe, LI, Nussbaum, RL 1997Mutation in the alpha-synuclein gene identified in families with Parkinson’s diseaseScience27620452047PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Quinn NP (1989) Multiple system atrophy-the nature of the beast. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry [Suppl]: 78–89Google Scholar
- Zarranz, J, Alegre, J, Gomez-Esteban, J, Lezcano, E, Ros, R, Ampuero, I, Vidal, L, Hoenicka, J, Rodriguez, O, Atares, B, Llorens, V, Gomez Tortosa, E, del Ser, T, Munoz, DG, de Yebenes, JG 2004The new mutation, E46K, of α-synuclein causes Parkinson and Lewy body dementiaAnn Neurol55164173PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar