A new matrix approach to real FFTs and convolutions of length 2k
- First Online:
- 162 Downloads
A new matrix, scaled odd tail, SOT, is introduced. This new matrix is used to derive real and complex FFT algorithms for lengths n = 2k. A compromise is reached between Fourier transform and polynomial transform methods for computing the action of cyclic convolutions. Both of these methods lead to arithmetic operation counts that are better than previously published results. A minor improvement is also demonstrated that enables us to compute the actions of Fermat prime order FFTs in fewer additions than previously available algorithms.
AMS Subject Classifications42A38 42A85 65T50
KeywordsFast Fourier transforms real convolutions Rader's method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergland, G. D., Dolan, M. T.: In: IEEE Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing Society, Programs for Digital Signal Processing. New York: IEEE Press 1979.Google Scholar
- Johnson, H. W., Burrus, C. S.: The design of optimal DFT algorithms using dynamic programming. IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Signal Process. ASSP-31, 378–387 (1983).Google Scholar
- Johnson, S. G.: private communication.Google Scholar
- Nussbaumer, H. J. 1982Fast Fourier transform and convolution algorithms, 2nd corrected and updated editionSpringerBerlin HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Scheid, F. 1989Schaum's outline series of theory and problems of numerical analysis2McGraw-HillNew York184197Google Scholar
- Selesnick, I., Burrus, C. 1996Automatic generation of prime length FFT programsIEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Signal Process.441424Google Scholar
- Sorenson, H., Jones, D., Heideman, M., Burrus, C.: Real-valued fast Fourier transform algorithms. IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Signal Process. ASSP-35, 849–863 (1987).Google Scholar
- Swarztrauber, P.: FFTPACK, version 4, April 1985. http://gams.nist.gov/serve.cgi/package/FFTPACK/, 2006.
- Van Buskirk, J., Lundy, T.: The new FFT web page: http://www.cuttlefisharts.com/newfft/, 2004.
- Verbauwhede, I. 2002
What makes a programmable DSP processor special?Oklobdzija, V. eds. The Computer Engineering HandbookCRC PressBoca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- Yavne, R. 1968An economical method for calculating the discrete Fourier transformAFIPS Proc.33115125Google Scholar