A New Sparse Gaussian Elimination Algorithm and the Niederreiter Linear System for Trinomials over F2
- 43 Downloads
An important factorization algorithm for polynomials over finite fields was developed by Niederreiter. The factorization problem is reduced to solving a linear system over the finite field in question, and the solutions are used to produce the complete factorization of the polynomial into irreducibles. One charactersistic feature of the linear system arising in the Niederreiter algorithm is the fact that, if the polynomial to be factorized is sparse, then so is the Niederreiter matrix associated with it. In this paper, we investigate the special case of factoring trinomials over the binary field. We develop a new algorithm for solving the linear system using sparse Gaussian elmination with the Markowitz ordering strategy. Implementing the new algorithm to solve the Niederreiter linear system for trinomials over F2 suggests that, the system is not only initially sparse, but also preserves its sparsity throughout the Gaussian elimination phase. When used with other methods for extracting the irreducible factors using a basis for the solution set, the resulting algorithm provides a more memory efficient and sometimes faster sequential alternative for achieving high degree trinomial factorizations over F2.
AMS Subject Classifications11T06 15-04 68-04 68W05 68W30 68W40
KeywordsFinite fields polynomial factorization Niederreiter algorithm sparse Gaussian elimination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Niederreiter, H., Göttfert, R. 1993Factorization of polynomials over finite fields and characteristic sequencesJ. Symb. Comp.16401412Google Scholar
- Gustavson, F. G. 1972
Some basic techniques for solving sparse systems of linear equationsRose, D. J.Willoughby, R. A. eds. Sparse matrices and their applicationsPlenum PressNew York4152Google Scholar
- von zur Gathen, J., Gerhard, J. 1999Modern Computer algebraCambridge University PressCambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Duff, I. S., Erisman, A. M., Reid, J. K. 1986Direct methods for sparse matricesOxford University PressNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Curtis, A. R., Reid, J. K. 1971The solution of large sparse unsymmetric systems of linear equationsJ. Inst. Math. Appl.8344353Google Scholar
- Abu Salem, F.: A BSP parallel model of the Göttfert algorithm for polynomial factorization over F2. PPAM 2003, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3019, 217–224 (2004).Google Scholar
- von zur Gathen, J., Gerhard, J.: Arithmetic and factorization of polynomials over F2. Proc. ISSAC 96. Zurich: ACM Press, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- Bonorden, O., von zur Gathen, J., Gerhard, J., Muller, O., Nocker, M. 2001Factoring a binary polynomial of degree over one millionACM SIGSAM Bull.351618Google Scholar