Numerical Verification of Solutions of Nekrasov’s Integral Equation
- 40 Downloads
This paper describes numerical verification of solutions of Nekrasov’s integral equation which is a mathematical model of two-dimensional water waves. This nonlinear and periodic integral equation includes a logarithmic singular kernel which is typically found in some two-dimensional potential problems. We propose the verification method using some properties of the singular integral for trigonometric polynomials and Schauder’s fixed point theorem in the periodic Sobolev space. A numerical example shows effectiveness of the present method.
AMS Subject Classifications:45G05 65G20 65R20
KeywordsNekrasov’s integral equation singular integral equation numerical verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kress, R.: Linear integral equations, 2nd ed. New York: Springer 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.Milne-Thomson, L. M.: Theoretical hydrodynamics, 5th ed. Dover New York 1996, Sects. 14.65 and 14.70.Google Scholar
- 4.Keady, G., Norbuy, J.: On the existence theory for irrotational water waves. Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 83, 137–157 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.Toland, J. F.: On the existence of a wave of greatest hight and Stokes’s conjecture. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 363, 469–485 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.Chandler, G. A., Graham, I. G.: The computation of water waves modelled by Nekrasov’s equation. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 30, 1041–1065 (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.Dobner, H.-J.: Verification methods for Fredholm int. equations. Int. J. Comput Math. 48, 251–261 (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.Dobner, H.-J.: Estimates for Fredholm integral equations. Numer. Funct. Anal. Optimiz. 20, 27–36 (1999).Google Scholar
- 9.Murashige, S., Oishi, S.: Numerical verification of solutions of periodic integral equations with a singular kernel. Numer Algorith. (2004) (forthcoming).Google Scholar