Approximation of Integral Operators by Open image in new window-Matrices with Adaptive Bases
- 91 Downloads
Open image in new window-matrices can be used to construct efficient approximations of discretized integral operators. The Open image in new window-matrix approximation can be constructed efficiently by interpolation, Taylor or multipole expansion of the integral kernel function, but the resulting representation requires a large amount of storage.
In order to improve the efficiency, local Schur decompositions can be used to eliminate redundant functions from an original approximation, which leads to a significant reduction of storage requirements and algorithmic complexity.
AMS Subject Classifications:45B05 65N38 65F30
KeywordsHierarchical matrices data-sparse approximation nested bases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Börm, S., Löhndorf, M., Melenk, J. M.: Approximation of integral operators by variable-order interpolation. Tech. Rep. 82, Max-Planck-Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, 2002. Numer. Math. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Börm, S., Sauter, S. A.: BEM with linear complexity for the classical boundary integral operators, Tech. Rep. 15, Institute of Mathematics, University of Zurich, 2003. Math. Comput. (accepted).Google Scholar
- Brandt, A., Lubrecht, A. A.: Multilevel matrix multiplication and fast solution of integral equations. J. Comput. Phys. 90, 348–370 (1990).Google Scholar
- Dahmen, W., Schneider, R.: Wavelets on manifolds I: construction and domain decomposition. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 31, 184–230 (1999).Google Scholar
- Giebermann, K.: Multilevel approximation of boundary integral operators. Computing 67, 183–207 (2001).Google Scholar
- Greengard, L., Rokhlin, V.: A fast algorithm for particle simulations. J. Comput. Phys. 73, 325–348 (1987).Google Scholar
- Greengard, L., Rokhlin, V.: A new version of the fast multipole method for the Laplace in three dimensions. Acta Numerica. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 229–269 (1997).Google Scholar
- Hackbusch, W., Nowak, Z. P.: On the fast matrix multiplication in the boundary element method by panel clustering. Numer. Math. 54, 463–491 (1989).Google Scholar
- Rokhlin, V.: Rapid solution of integral equations of classical potential theory. J. Comput. Phys. 60, 187–207 (1985).Google Scholar
- Sauter, S.: Variable order panel clustering (extended version). Tech. Rep. 52, Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik, Leipzig, Germany 1999.Google Scholar
- Sauter, S.: Variable order panel clustering. Computing. 64, 223–261 (2000).Google Scholar
- Tausch, J., White, J.: Multiscale bases for the sparse representation of boundary integral operators on complex geometries. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 24, 1610–1629 (2003).Google Scholar