Manganese(II)-doped carbon dots as effective oxidase mimics for sensitive colorimetric determination of ascorbic acid
- 60 Downloads
A colorimetric assay is presented for the determination of ascorbic acid (AA). Manganese(II) doped carbon dots (Mn-CDs) were prepared by a convenient hydrothermal route and are shown to possess oxidase-like catalytic ability. They catalyze the oxidation of 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine (TMB) by dissolved oxygen to form a blue colored product (oxTMB). AA can reduce blue oxTMB to colorless TMB. The fading of the blue color (measured at 652 nm) can be applied for quantifying AA in the 50 to 2500 nM concentration range and with a 9 nM detection limit. The method was successfully used for the quantitation of AA in real samples.
KeywordsMetal doping Enzyme mimetic Nanozyme Tetramethylbenzidine Colorimetry Ascorbic acid assay Oxidase-like activity Optical sensor Inhibitory effect Blood serum
This work was supported by Anhui Laboratory of Molecule-Based Materials Open Fund (No. fzj19006) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 21303003, 21375003 and 21705003).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 16.Darabdhara G, Boruah PK, Das MR (2019) Colorimetric determination of glucose in solution and via the use of a paper strip by exploiting the peroxidase and oxidase mimicking activity of bimetallic cu-Pd nanoparticles deposited on reduced graphene oxide, graphitic carbon nitride, or MoS2 nanosheets. Microchim Acta 186(1):13CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Zhang Y, Dai CL, Liu W, Wang YY, Ding F, Zou P, Wang XX, Zhao QB, Rao HB (2019) Ultrathin films of a metal-organic framework prepared from 2-methylimidazole, manganese(II) and cobalt(II) with strong oxidase-mimicking activity for colorimetric determination of glutathione and glutathione reductase activity. Microchim Acta 186(6):340CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Lv Y, Ma ML, Huang YC, Xia YS (2019) Carbon dot nanozymes: how to be close to natural enzymes. Chem Eur J 25(4):954–960Google Scholar
- 24.Pakkath SAR, Chetty SS, Selvarasu P, Murugan AV, Kumar Y, Periyasamy L, Santhakumar M, Sadras SR, Santhakumar K (2018) Transition metal ion (Mn2+, Fe2+, Co2+, and Ni2+)-doped carbon dots synthesized via microwave-assisted pyrolysis: a potential nanoprobe for magneto-fluorescent dual-modality bioimaging. ACS Biomater Sci Eng 4(7):2582–2596CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Yang XH, Ling J, Peng J, Cao QE, Wang L, Ding ZT, Xiong J (2013) Catalytic formation of silver nanoparticles by bovine serum albumin protected-silver nanoclusters and its application for colorimetric detection of ascorbic acid. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 106:224–230CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar