A multichannel system integrating molecularly imprinted conductive polymers for ultrasensitive voltammetric determination of four steroid hormones in urine
This work reports on a modularized electrochemical method for the determination of the hormones cortisol, progesterone, testosterone and 17β-estradiol in urine. These hormones were employed as templates when generating molecular imprints from aniline and metanilic acid by electropolymerization on the surface of screen-printed electrodes. The electrically conductive imprint was characterized by SEM, AFM and cyclic voltammetry. A four-channel system was then established to enable simultaneous determination of the hormones by cyclic voltammetry. The detection limits for cortisol, progesterone, testosterone and 17β-estradiol are as low as 2, 2.5, 10 and 9 ag·mL−1 (for S/N = 3).
KeywordsMultichannel potentiostat Hormones Molecular imprinting Electrochemical sensing Urine analysis
The authors would like to appreciate the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of China, Taiwan for financially supporting this research under contract nos. MOST 106-2221-E-390-013-MY3, 106-2314-B-390-001-MY2 and 107-2923-M-390-001-MY3.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 1.Norman AW, Litwack G (1997) Hormones. Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- 9.Huang C-Y, O'Hare D, Chao IJ, Wei H-W, Liang Y-F, Liu B-D, Lee M-H, Lin H-Y (2015) Integrated potentiostat for electrochemical sensing of urinary 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid with molecularly imprinted poly(ethylene-co-vinyl alcohol). Biosens Bioelectron 67:208–213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2014.08.018 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Zhao G, Si Y, Wang H, Liu G (2016) A portable electrochemical detection system based on graphene/ionic liquid modified screen-printed electrode for the detection of cadmium in soil by square wave anodic stripping voltammetry. Int J Electrochem Sci 11:54–64Google Scholar
- 20.Saadati F, Ghahramani F, Shayani-jam H, Piri F, Yaftian MR (2018) Synthesis and characterization of nanostructure molecularly imprinted polyaniline/graphene oxide composite as highly selective electrochemical sensor for detection of p-nitrophenol. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng 86:213–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2018.02.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Luo SC, Thomas JL, Guo HZ, Liao WT, Lee MH, Lin HY (2017) Electrosynthesis of nanostructured, imprinted poly(hydroxymethyl 3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) for the ultrasensitive electrochemical detection of urinary progesterone. ChemistrySelect 2(26):7935–7939. https://doi.org/10.1002/slct.201701469 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Murase N, Taniguchi SI, Takano E, Kitayama Y, Takeuchi T (2015) Fluorescence reporting of binding interactions of target molecules with Core–Shell-type cortisol-imprinted polymer particles using environmentally responsible fluorescent-labeled cortisol. Macromol Chem Phys 216(13):1396–1404. https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.201500065 CrossRefGoogle Scholar