Highly selective extraction and voltammetric determination of the opioid drug buprenorphine via a carbon paste electrode impregnated with nano-sized molecularly imprinted polymer
- 70 Downloads
An electrochemical sensor for the opioid drug buprenorphine (BUP) is described. Molecularly imprinted polymer nanoparticles (nanoMIP) were prepared and used to modify a carbon paste electrode (CPE). The BUP-imprinted polymer was synthesized using precipitation polymerization. The resulting polymer along with multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) was used to fabricate the modified CPE which exhibited an anodic peak at about +0.73 V (vs. Ag/AgCl) for BUP. The MIP on the CPE functions as selective recognition element with an imprinting factor of 5.6. The assay consists of two-steps, viz. analyte extraction at the electrode surface and differential pulse voltammetric determination of BUP. The effects of various parameters on the electrochemical signal were optimized, and the selectivity of the modified CPE over cross reactants was studied. At optimum experimental conditions, the response is linear in the 1 nM to 50 μM BUP concentration range, and the detection limit is 0.6 nM (at S/N = 3). This method was applied to the determination of BUP in spiked urine with acceptable relative standard deviations (3.2–4.4%).
KeywordsSubutex Opioid drug Carbon nanotube Carbon paste electrode Imprinted polymer Buprenorphine Voltammetric sensor Nanoparticles Differential pulse voltammetry Urine analysis
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 8.Ganjavi F, Ansari M, Kazemipour M, Zeidabadinejad L (2018) Computational design, synthesis and utilization of a magnetic molecularly imprinted polymer on graphene oxide nanosheets for highly selective extraction and determination of buprenorphine in biological fluids and tablets. Anal Methods 10:5214–5226CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Chan KW, Harun H (2017) Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometric method validation for the quantification of buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine in whole blood. J Forensic Sci 49:186–200Google Scholar
- 12.Gomar F, Afkhami A, Madrakian T (2017) Highly sensitive simultaneous quantification of buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine in human plasma by magnetic solid-phase extraction based on PpPDA/Fe3O4 nanocomposite and high-performance liquid chromatography. J Iran Chem Soc 15(3):575–585CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Everhart ET, Cheung P, Shwonek P, Zabel K, Tisdale EC, Jacob P, Jones RT (1997) Subnanogram-concentration measurement of buprenorphine in human plasma by electron-capture capillary gas chromatography: application to pharmacokinetics of sublingual buprenorphine. Clin Chem 43:2292–2302PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sellergren B (2000) Molecularly imprinted polymers: man-made mimics of antibodies and their application in analytical chemistry. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands 23:582Google Scholar
- 28.Akhoundian M, Alizadeh T, Ganjali MR, Rafiei F (2018) A new carbon paste electrode modified with MWCNTs and nano-structured molecularly imprinted polymer for ultratrace determination of trimipramine: the crucial effect of electrode components mixing on its performance. Biosens Bioelectron 111:27–33CrossRefGoogle Scholar