A boron nitride electrode modified with a nanocomposite prepared from an ionic liquid and tungsten disulfide for voltammetric sensing of 4-aminophenol
- 45 Downloads
Boron nitride (BN) was used as a support and covered with an ionic liquid (IL) and tungsten disulfide (WS2) nanoparticles to obtain an electrode for the determination of 4-aminophenol (4-AP). BN was prepared using a “solvent cutting” method, and the BN-IL-WS2 nanocomposite was obtained by an ultrasonic method. BN and its hybrids were characterized by scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction. When the BN-IL-WS2 composites were coated on the surface of the electrode, the response to 4-AP was strongly amplified due to the strong synergetic effect between the three materials. The voltammetric response of the modified sensor (with a maximum at 0.29 V vs. Ag/AgCl) in solutions with a pH of 6 is linear in the 0.01–50 μΜ 4-AP concentration range, and the limit of detection is 3 nM. A modified glassy carbon electrode was applied for the determination of 4-AP in seawater and dispersions containing paracetamol tablets. The results were consistent with those obtained by HPLC.
KeywordsNanomaterials Dichalcogenide Phenol Electrochemical detection Sensor
This work was supported by the State Key Laboratory of Cryospheric Science, Northwest Institute of Eco-Environment and Resources, Chinese Academy Sciences (SKLCS-OP-2019-02).
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Yi Y, Zhu G, Wu X, Wang K (2016) Highly sensitive and simultaneous electrochemical determination of 2-aminophenol and 4-aminophenol based on poly(l-arginine)-beta-cyclodextrin/carbon nanotubes@graphene nanoribbons modified electrode. Biosens Bioelectron 77:353–358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2015.09.052 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Lu W, Wang X, Wu X, Liu D, Li J, Chen L, Zhang X (2017) Multi-template imprinted polymers for simultaneous selective solid-phase extraction of six phenolic compounds in water samples followed by determination using capillary electrophoresis. J Chromatogr A 1483:30–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2016.12.069 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yang L, Fan S, Deng G, Li Y, Ran X, Zhao H, Li CP (2015) Bridged beta-cyclodextrin-functionalized MWCNT with higher supramolecular recognition capability: the simultaneous electrochemical determination of three phenols. Biosens Bioelectron 68:617–625. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2015.01.059 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Khataee A, Haddad Irani-Nezhad M, Hassanzadeh J, Woo Joo S (2018) Superior peroxidase mimetic activity of tungsten disulfide nanosheets/silver nanoclusters composite: colorimetric, fluorometric and electrochemical studies. J Colloid Interface Sci 515:39–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2018.01.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kumari R, Opoku F, Osikoya AO, Anku WW, Shukla SK, Govender PP (2019) Hierarchically assembled two-dimensional gold boron nitride-tungsten disulphide nanohybrid interface system for electrobiocatalytic applications. Mater Chem Phys 226:129–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2018.12.103 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Koyyada G, Prabhakar Vattikuti SV, Shome S, Shim J, Chitturi V, Jung JH (2019) Enhanced solar light-driven photocatalytic degradation of pollutants and hydrogen evolution over exfoliated hexagonal WS2 platelets. Mater Res Bull 109:246–254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2018.09.045 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Zanello P (2003) Inorganic electrochemistry: theory, practice and application. The Royal Society of Chemistry, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 28.Babaei A, Taheri AR (2013) Nafion/Ni(OH)2 nanoparticles-carbon nanotube composite modified glassy carbon electrode as a sensor for simultaneous determination of dopamine and serotonin in the presence of ascorbic acid. Sensors Actuators B Chem 176:543–551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2012.09.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Ghanbari K, Bonyadi S (2018) An electrochemical sensor based on reduced graphene oxide decorated with polypyrrole nanofibers and zinc oxide–copper oxide p–n junction heterostructures for the simultaneous voltammetric determination of ascorbic acid, dopamine, paracetamol, and tryptophan. New J Chem 42:8512–8523. https://doi.org/10.1039/c8nj00857d CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Huang KJ, Wang L, Liu YJ, Gan T, Liu YM, Wang LL, Fan Y (2013) Synthesis and electrochemical performances of layered tungsten sulfide-graphene nanocomposite as a sensing platform for catechol, resorcinol and hydroquinone. Electrochim Acta 107:379–387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.06.060 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Biswas S, Chakraborty D, Das R, Bandyopadhyay R, Pramanik P (2015) A simple synthesis of nitrogen doped porous graphitic carbon: electrochemical determination of paracetamol in presence of ascorbic acid and p-aminophenol. Anal Chim Acta 890:98–107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2015.07.045 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar