Point-of-care amperometric determination of L-dopa using an inkjet-printed carbon nanotube electrode modified with dandelion-like MnO2 microspheres
- 216 Downloads
An electrochemical sensor is described for the determination of L-dopa (levodopa; 3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine). An inkjet-printed carbon nanotube (IJPCNT) electrode was modified with manganese dioxide microspheres by drop-casting. They coating was characterized by field emission scanning electron microscopy, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy and X-ray powder diffraction. The sensor, best operated at a working voltage of 0.3 V, has a linear response in the 0.1 to 10 μM L-dopa concentration range, a 54 nM detection limit, excellent reproducibility, repeatability and selectivity. The amperometric approach was applied to the determination of L-dopa in spiked biological fluids and displayed satisfactory accuracy and precision.
KeywordsLevodopa Electrochemical sensor Manganese dioxide Cyclic voltammetry Amperometry Point-of-care
This work was supported by MagBioVin project (FP7-ERAChairs-Pilot Call-2013, Grant agreement: 621375), by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia (Project No. OI 172030, Project OI172049).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 3.Stanković DM, Samphao A, Dojcinović B, Kalcher K (2016) Rapid electrochemical method for the determination of L-DOPA in extract from the seeds of Mucuna prurita. Acta Chim Slov:220–226. https://doi.org/10.17344/acsi.2015.1541
- 6.Jayakumar C, Jeseentharani V, Subba reddy Y, kulandainathan MA, Nagaraj KS, Jeyaraj B (2013) Electrochemical determination of L-dopa in the presence of ascorbic acid by gold nanoparticles functionalized 8- Hydroxyquinoline modified glassy carbon electrode. Anal Bioanal Electrochem 5:193–205Google Scholar
- 11.Kalachar HCB, Basavanna S, Viswanatha R, Naik YA, Raj DA, Sudha PN (2011) Electrochemical determination of L-Dopa in Mucuna pruriens seeds, leaves and commercial siddha product using gold modified pencil graphite electrode. Electroanalysis 23:1107–1115. https://doi.org/10.1002/elan.201000558 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Shahrokhian S, Asadian E (2009) Electrochemical determination of l-dopa in the presence of ascorbic acid on the surface of the glassy carbon electrode modified by a bilayer of multi-walled carbon nanotube and poly-pyrrole doped with tiron. J Electroanal Chem 636:40–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2009.09.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Zhu Y, Gasilova N, Jović M, Qiao L, Liu B, Lovey LT, Pick H, Girault HH (2018) Detection of antimicrobial resistance-associated proteins by titanium dioxide-facilitated intact bacteria mass spectrometry. Chem Sci 9:2212–2221. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7SC04089J CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Lakić M, Vukadinović A, Kalcher K, Nikolić AS, Stanković DM (2016) Effect of cobalt doping level of ferrites in enhancing sensitivity of analytical performances of carbon paste electrode for simultaneous determination of catechol and hydroquinone. Talanta 161:668–674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2016.09.029 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Stanković DM, Mehmeti E, Zavašnik J, Kalcher K (2016) Determination of nitrite in tap water: a comparative study between cerium, titanium and selenium dioxide doped reduced graphene oxide modified glassy carbon electrodes. Sens. Actuator B-Chem. 236:311–317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2016.06.018 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Vukojević V, Djurdjić S, Ognjanović M, Antić B, Kalcher K, Mutić J, Stanković DM (2018) RuO2/graphene nanoribbon composite supported on screen printed electrode with enhanced electrocatalytic performances toward ethanol and NADH biosensing. Biosens Bioelectron 117:392–397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2018.06.038 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Feng L (2016) Electrochemical study of hydrogen peroxide detection on MnO2 micromaterials. Int J Electrochem Sci:5962–5972. https://doi.org/10.20964/2016.07.42
- 26.Zbiljić J, Guzsvány V, Vajdle O, Prlina B, Agbaba J, Dalmacija B, Kónya Z, Kalcher K (2015) Determination of H2O2 by MnO2 modified screen printed carbon electrode during Fenton and visible light-assisted photo-Fenton based removal of acetamiprid from water. J Electroanal Chem 755:77–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2015.07.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Wang X, Luo C, Li L, Duan H (2015) Highly selective and sensitive electrochemical sensor for l-cysteine detection based on graphene oxide/multiwalled carbon nanotube/manganese dioxide/gold nanoparticles composite. J Electroanal Chem 757:100–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2015.09.023 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Lesch A, Maye SI, Jovic M, Gumy F, Tacchini P (2016) Girault H (2016) analytical sensing platforms with inkjet printed electrodes. Adv Mat-TechConnect Briefs 3:121–124Google Scholar
- 32.Leite FRF, Maroneze CM, Oliveira AB de, dos Santos WTP, Damos FS, Silva Luz RdC (2012) Development of a sensor for L-Dopa based on co(DMG)(2)ClPy/multi-walled carbon nanotubes composite immobilized on basal plane pyrolytic graphite electrode. Bioelectrochemistry 86:22–29. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bioelechem.2012.01.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Palakollu VN, Thapliyal N, Chiwunze TE, Karpoormath R, Karunanidhi S, Cherukupalli S (2017) Electrochemically reduced graphene oxide/poly-glycine composite modified electrode for sensitive determination of l-dopa. Mater Sci Eng C 77:394–404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2017.03.173 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Nien P-C, Wang J-Y, Chen P-Y, Chen L-C, Ho K-C (2010) Encapsulating benzoquinone and glucose oxidase with a PEDOT film: application to oxygen-independent glucose sensors and glucose/O2 biofuel cells. Bioresour Technol 101:5480–5486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.02.012 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar