Carbon dots on V2O5 nanowires are a viable peroxidase mimic for colorimetric determination of hydrogen peroxide and glucose
- 91 Downloads
A nanocomposite was hydrothermally prepared from C-dots and V2O5 nanowires, and characterized by TEM, FTIR and XRD. Due to the synergistic effects between C-dots and V2O5 nanowires, the nanocomposite is found to possess peroxidase-mimicking activity. This finding was exploited to design colorimetric methods for determination of H2O2 and glucose (via glucose oxidase) by using of 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine (TMB) as the chromogenic substrate. The C-dot/V2O5 nanocomposite catalyzes hydrogen peroxide to oxidize TMB and the resultant product, i.e., TMB* produces a blue color in the solution. Also for glucose determination, at first glucose reacts with dissolved oxygen in the presence of glucose oxidase and generates H2O2. Then, produced H2O2 was monitored by the C-dot/V2O5 nanozyme in the presence of TMB. Intensity of the blue color in the solution at wavelength of 650 nm is an indication of H2O2 or glucose concentration. The response to H2O2 is linear in the 0.5–520 μM concentration ranges, and that for glucose from 0.7 μM to 300 μM.
KeywordsNanozyme Nanocomposite Peroxidase Colorimetric assay Biomimetic nanomaterials
The authors wish to acknowledge the support of this work by Islamic Azad University, Shiraz Branch.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 16.Guo Y, Wang H, Ma X, Jin J, Ji W, Wang X, Song W, Zhao B, He C (2017) Fabrication of ag-Cu2O/reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites as surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates for in situ monitoring of peroxidase-like catalytic reaction and biosensing. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9:19074–19081CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Yousefinejad S, Rasti H, Hajebi M, Kowsari M, Sadravi S, Honarasa F (2017) Design of C-dots/Fe 3 O 4 magnetic nanocomposite as an efficient new nanozyme and its application for determination of H 2 O 2 in nanomolar level. Sensors Actuators B Chem 247:691–696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2017.02.145 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cui Y, Ke Y, Liu C, et al (2018) Thermochromic VO2 for Energy-Efficient Smart Windows. Joule 1–40Google Scholar
- 46.Wang Y, Zhang D, Wang J (2018) Metastable α-AgVO3microrods as peroxidase mimetics for colorimetric determination of H2O2. Microchim Acta 185(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2562-z
- 47.Tran HV, Nguyen TV, Nguyen ND, Piro B, Huynh CD (2018) A nanocomposite prepared from FeOOH and N-doped carbon nanosheets as a peroxidase mimic, and its application to enzymatic sensing of glucose in human urine. Microchim Acta 185:270. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-018-2804-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar