Intrinsic peroxidase-like activity of Cu2ZnSn(SxSe1-x)4 nanocrystals, and their application to the colorimetric detection of H2O2
- 52 Downloads
Nanocrystals (NCs) of type Cu2ZnSn(SxSe1-x)4 (CZTSSe) were prepared via a solvothermal approach. They are shown to be highly efficient peroxidase (POx) mimics for colorimetric detection of H2O2. By varying the molar ratio of S and Se during preparation, the NCs showed different crystal structures, morphologies, surface properties, and POx-like activities. Among them, the type CZTSSe-0.25 NCs exhibit the strongest POx-like activities towards the catalytic oxidation of 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine in the presence of H2O2 to generate a blue product. The enhanced activity is attributed to its more negative potential and larger specific surface of the NCs. Based on these findings, a rapid and ultrasensitive method was developed for the visual and colorimetric determination of H2O2. The method is selective, and the NCs are reusable and long-term stable. The detection limit of H2O2 is 50 nM. Kinetic and active species trapping experiments were performed to elucidate the POx-like mechanism of the NCs.
KeywordsNanomaterials Peroxidase mimetic Catalytic activity Optical determination Sensor Kinetics XRD TEM TMB Hydrogen peroxide
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (51702328), Key Lab of Marine Bioactive Substance and Modern Analytical Technique, SOA (MBSMAT-2016-05), Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province, China (ZR2017BD002), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Funded Project (2017 M622179 and 2018 T110681), CAS “Light of West China” Program, Open Fund of Laboratory for Marine Ecology and Environmental Science, Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao) (LMEES201802), National Natural Science Foundation of China (41776177), Open Foundation of Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao) (QNLM2016ORP0410), and The Aoshan Scientific and Technological Innovation Project Financially Supported by Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao) (2016ASKJ14). C.J. Sun would also like to thank support from Taishan Scholar and the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of China.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 5.Čunderlová V, Hlaváček A, Horňáková V, Peterek M, Němeček D, Hampl A, Eyer L, Skládal P (2016) Catalytic nanocrystalline coordination polymers as an efficient peroxidase mimic for labeling and optical immunoassays. Microchim Acta 183:651–658. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-015-1697-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Nasir M, Nawaz MH, Yaqub M, Hayat A, Rahim A (2017) An overview on enzyme-mimicking nanomaterials for use in electrochemical and optical assays. Microchim Acta 184:323–342. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-016-2036-8
- 15.Wang Y, Zhang D, Wang J (2018) Metastable α-AgVO3 microrods as peroxidase mimetics for colorimetric determination of H2O2. Microchim Acta 185(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2562-z
- 22.Kim J, Hiroi H, Todorov TK, Gunawan O, Kuwahara M, Gokmen T, Nair D, Hopstaken M, Shin B, Lee YS, Wang W, Sugimoto H, Mitzi DB (2014) High efficiency Cu2ZnSn(S, Se)4 solar cells by applying a double In2S3/CdS emitter. Adv Mater 26:7427–7431. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201402373 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Qiao FM, Qi QQ, Wang ZZ, Xu K, Ai SY (2016) MnSe-loaded g-C3N4 nanocomposite with synergistic peroxidase-like catalysis: synthesis and application toward colorimetric biosensing of H2O2 and glucose. Sensors Actuators B Chem 229:379–386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2015.12.109 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Wang N, Duan JZ, Shi WJ, Zhai XF, Guan F, Yang LH, Hou BR (2018) A 3-dimensional C/CeO2 hollow nanostructure framework as a peroxidase mimetic, and its application to the colorimetric determination of hydrogen peroxide. Microchim Acta 185:417. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-018-2957-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar