A glassy carbon electrode modified with TiO2(200)-rGO hybrid nanosheets for aptamer based impedimetric determination of the prostate specific antigen
TiO2(200)-rGO hybrid nanosheets were synthesized starting from TiO2, rGO and NaOH solid powders via a scalable hydrothermal process. The weight ratio of TiO2-GO was found to be crucial on the crystal growth and biosensor properties of the final hybrid nanosheets. They were characterized by means of SEM, FESEM-EDX, XRD, XPS, Raman and FTIR spectroscopies in order to verify the formation of very thin TiO2 anatase nanosheets with an orientation of the anatase crystal structure towards the (200) plane. The free active sites of TiO2 structure and the large surface of the 2D graphene structure strongly facilitate charge transport confirmed by BET-BJH analyses. Compared to pure AuNPs, rGO and TiO2, the hybrid nanosheet modified electrode represents the most sensitive aptasensing platform for the determination of PSA. The detection was based on that the variation of electron transfer resistance (Rct) at the modified electrode surface in a solution containing 3.0 mmol L−1 [Fe(CN)6]3−/4- as a redox probe and 0.1 mol L−1 KCl as supporting electrolyte. The detection limit of the sensor is 1 pg mL−1, and the sensor can be operated up to 30 days. It was applied to the analysis of PSA levels in spiked serum samples obtained from patients with prostate cancer. Data compare well with those obtained by an immunoradiometric assay.
KeywordsWork function X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy Effective surface area Aptasensor Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy Voltammetry
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 15.Zheye Z, Fei X, Yunlong G, Shuai W, Yunqi L (2013) One-pot self-assembled three-dimensional TiO2-graphene hydrogel with improved adsorption capacities and photocatalytic and electrochemical activities. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5(6):2227–2233. https://doi.org/10.1021/am303299r CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Amano T, Toyooka T, Ibuki Y (2010) Preparation of DNA-adsorbed TiO2 particles--augmentation of performance for environmental purification by increasing DNA adsorption by external pH regulation. Sci Total Environ 408(3):480–485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.10.037 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Wang M, Zhai S, Ye Z, He L, Peng D, Feng X, Yang Y, Fang S, Zhang H, Zhang Z (2015) An electrochemical aptasensor based on a TiO2/three-dimensional reduced graphene oxide/PPy nanocomposite for the sensitive detection of lysozyme. Dalton Trans 44(14):6473–6479. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5dt00168d CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ma Y, Shen XL, Zeng Q, Wang LS (2017) A glassy carbon electrode modified with graphene nanoplatelets, gold nanoparticles and chitosan, and coated with a molecularly imprinted polymer for highly sensitive determination of prostate specific antigen. Microchim Acta 184(11):4469–4476. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2458-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Biniaz Z, Mostafavi A, Shamspur T, Torkzadeh-Mahani M, Mohamadi M (2017) Electrochemical sandwich immunoassay for the prostate specific antigen using a polyclonal antibody conjugated to thionine and horseradish peroxidase. Microchim Acta 184(8):2731–2738. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2284-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar