A capillary column packed with a zirconium(IV)-based organic framework for enrichment of endogenous phosphopeptides
A zirconium(IV)-based metal organic framework (Zr-MOF) was deposited on polydopamine-coated silica microspheres to form microspheres of type SiO2@PDA@Zr-MOF. These were packed into capillary columns for enrichment of phosphopeptides. The column was off-line coupled to both matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time of flight mass spectrometry and LC-ESI-MS/MS. The method has a detection limit as low as 4 fmol of β-casein digest and a selectivity as high as 1:1000 (molar ratio of β-casein and BSA digest). It was applied to the analysis of human saliva. In total, 240 endogenous phosphopeptides were identified in only 25 μL human saliva.
KeywordsMOF Human saliva Mass spectrometry Metal oxide affinity chromatography Phosphopeptide On-column enrichment MALDI-TOF MS Phosphoproteome Polydopamine Size exclusion effect
This work was financially supported by National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFA0507501) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21425518).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 10.Zhang L, Gan Y, Sun H, Yu B, Jin X, Zhang R, Zhang W, Zhang L (2016) Magnetic mesoporous carbon composites incorporating hydrophilic metallic nanoparticles for enrichment of phosphopeptides prior to their determination by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Microchim Acta 184(2):547–555. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-016-2046-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yan Y, Zheng Z, Deng C, Li Y, Zhang X, Yang P (2013) Hydrophilic polydopamine-coated graphene for metal ion immobilization as a novel immobilized metal ion affinity chromatography platform for phosphoproteome analysis. Anal Chem 85(18):8483–8487. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac401668e CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Peng J, Zhang H, Li X, Liu S, Zhao X, Wu J, Kang X, Qin H, Pan Z, Wu R (2016) Dual-metal centered zirconium-organic framework: a metal-affinity probe for highly specific interaction with Phosphopeptides. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 8(51):35012–35020. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b12630 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zhao M, Deng C, Zhang X (2014) The design and synthesis of a hydrophilic core-shell-shell structured magnetic metal-organic framework as a novel immobilized metal ion affinity platform for phosphoproteome research. Chem Commun 50(47):6228–6231. https://doi.org/10.1039/c4cc01038h CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Li D, Yin D, Chen Y, Liu Z (2017) Coupling of metal-organic frameworks-containing monolithic capillary-based selective enrichment with matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry for efficient analysis of protein phosphorylation. J Chromatogr A 1498:56–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2016.10.054 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Choi H, Lee S, Jun CD, Park ZY (2011) Development of an off-line capillary column IMAC phosphopeptide enrichment method for label-free phosphorylation relative quantification. J Chromatogr B Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 879(28):2991–2997. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2011.08.035 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Sun N, Deng C, Li Y, Zhang X (2014) Size-exclusive magnetic graphene/mesoporous silica composites with titanium(IV)-immobilized pore walls for selective enrichment of endogenous phosphorylated peptides. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 6(14):11799–11804. https://doi.org/10.1021/am502529a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.La Barbera G, Capriotti AL, Cavaliere C, Ferraris F, Montone CM, Piovesana S, Zenezini Chiozzi R, Lagana A (2018) Saliva as a source of new phosphopeptide biomarkers: development of a comprehensive analytical method based on shotgun peptidomics. Talanta 183:245–249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2018.02.085 CrossRefGoogle Scholar