Colorimetric determination of dopamine by exploiting the enhanced oxidase mimicking activity of hierarchical NiCo2S4-rGO composites
- 203 Downloads
A composite consisting of NiCo2S4 and reduced graphene oxide (rGO) was prepared via a hydrothermal process. Compared to individual NiCo2S4 nanomaterials or reduced graphene oxide, the composite exhibits enhanced oxidase-like activity. It is found that dopamine (DA) inhibits the ability of NiCo2S4-rGO to oxidize the substrate 3,3′,5′,5′-tetramethylbenzidine (TMB) to form blue colored ox-TMB. Based on these findings, a colorimetric method for determination of DA was worked out. The absorption, best measured at 652 nm, increases linearly in the 0.5–100 μM DA concentration range, and the limit of detection is 0.42 μM. This method was successfully applied to the detection of DA in spiked human serum samples.
KeywordsHybrid nanostructure Oxidase mimetic Synergistic effect Colorimetric assay Human serum sample
This work was supported by a grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21305097) and the 2016 undergraduate innovation training program of Sichuan Agricultural University (04054674).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Leaf-nosed bat, in: Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica Online, 2009Google Scholar
- 4.Vonk J, Shackelford TK (2012) The Oxford handbook of comparative evolutionary psychology. In: Nathan PE (ed) Oxford library of psychology. Oxford University Press, New York, p 574Google Scholar
- 5.Sajid M, Nazal MK, Mansha M, Alsharaa A, Jillani SMS, Basheer C (2016) Chemically modified electrodes for electrochemical detection of dopamine in the presence of uric acid and ascorbic acid: a review. Trends Anal Chem 76:15–29Google Scholar
- 11.Schumacher F, Chakraborty S, Kleuser B, Gulbins E, Schwerdtle T, Aschner M, Bornhorst J (2015) Highly sensitive isotope-dilution liquid-chromatography–electrospray ionization–tandem-mass spectrometry approach to study the drug-mediated modulation of dopamine and serotonin levels in Caenorhabditis elegans. Talanta 144:71–79CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhang L, Qv S, Wang Z, Cheng J (2003) Determination of dopamine in single rat pheochromocytoma cell by capillary electrophoresis with amperometric detection. Electrochim Acta 792(2):381–385Google Scholar
- 25.Dutta S, Ray C, Mallick S, Sarkar S, Sahoo R, Negishi Y, Pal T (2015) A gel-based approach to design hierarchical CuS decorated reduced graphene oxide nanosheets for enhanced peroxidase-like activity leading to colorimetric detection of dopamine. J Phys Chem C 119(41):23790–23800CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Yanzhou J, Yan G, Guangdi N, Maoqiang C, Zezhou Y, Ce W, Yen W, Xiaofeng L (2017) Synthesis of rGO/Cu8S5/PPy composite nanosheets with enhanced peroxidase-like activity for sensitive colorimetric detection of H2O2 and phenol. Part Part Syst Charact 34(3):1600233Google Scholar
- 39.Chen X, Liu Q, Liu M, Zhang X, Lin S, Chen Y, Zhuang J, Yang D-P (2018) Protein-templated Fe2O3 microspheres for highly sensitive amperometric detection of dopamine. Microchim Acta 185(7):340Google Scholar