Ultrasensitive determination of thrombin by using an electrode modified with WSe2 and gold nanoparticles, aptamer-thrombin-aptamer sandwiching, redox cycling, and signal enhancement by alkaline phosphatase
A sensitive aptamer/protein binding-triggered sandwich assay for thrombin is described. It is based on electrochemical-chemical-chemical redox cycling using a glassy carbon electrode (GCE) that was modified with WSe2 and gold nanoparticles (AuNPs). The AuNPs are linked to thrombin aptamer 1 via Au-S bonds. Thrombin is first captured by aptamer 1 and then sandwiched through the simultaneous interaction with AuNPs modified with thrombin-specific aptamer 2 and signalling probe. Subsequently, the DNA-linked AuNP hybrids result in the capture of streptavidin-conjugated alkaline phosphatase onto the modified GCE through the specific affinity reaction for further signal enhancement. As a result, a linear range of 0–1 ng mL−1 and a detection limit as low as 190 fg mL−1 are accomplished. The specificity for thrombin is excellent. Conceivably, this strategy can be easily expanded to other proteins by using the appropriate aptamer.
KeywordsTungsten diselenide nanosheets Electrochemical biosensor Sandwiched structure Protein Signal enhancement
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21475115), Henan Provincial Science and technology innovation team (C20150026), Nanhu Scholars Program of XYNU and Henan Science and Technology Cooperation Project (172106000064).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.Wang X, Sun D, Tong Y, Zhong Y, Chen Z (2017) A voltammetric aptamer-based thrombin biosensor exploiting signal amplification via synergetic catalysis by DNAzyme and enzyme decorated AuPd nanoparticles on a poly (o-phenylenediamine) support. Microchim Acta 184(6):1791–1799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s0060 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Karfa P, Madhuri R, Sharma PK (2017) Multifunctional fluorescent chalcogenide hybrid nanodots (MoSe2: CdS and WSe2: CdS) as electro catalyst (for oxygen reduction/oxygen evolution reactions) and sensing probe for lead. J Mater Chem A 5(4):1495–1508. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6TA08172J CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Shuai HL, Huang KJ, Xing LL, Chen YX (2016) Ultrasensitive electrochemical sensing platform for microRNA based on tungsten oxide-graphene composites coupling with catalyzed hairpin assembly target recycling and enzyme signal amplification. Biosens Bioelectron 86:337–345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.06.057 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zhang H, Guo Z, Dong H, Chen H, Cai C (2017) An electrochemiluminescence assay for sensitive detection of methyltransferase activity in different cancer cells by hybridization chain reaction coupled with a G-quadruplex/hemin DNAzyme biosensing strategy. Analyst 142(11):2013–2019. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7AN00486A CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wang Y, Zhang Y, Yan T, Fan D, Du B, Ma H, Wei Q (2016) Ultrasensitive electrochemical aptasensor for the detection of thrombin based on dual signal amplification strategy of Au@GS and DNA-CoPd NPs conjugates. Biosens Bioelectron 80:640–646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.02.042 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Yang J, Dou B, Yuan R, Xiang Y (2016) Proximity binding and metal ion-dependent DNAzyme cyclic amplification-integrated aptasensor for label-free and sensitive electrochemical detection of thrombin. Anal Chem 88(16):8218–8223. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.6b02035 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Cao Y, Wang Z, Cao J, Mao X, Chen G, Zhao J (2017) A general protein aptasensing strategy based on untemplated nucleic acid elongation and the use of fluorescent copper nanoparticles: application to the detection of thrombin and the vascular endothelial growth factor. Microchim Acta 184:3697–3704. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2393-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.He J, Li G, Hu Y (2017) Aptamer-involved fluorescence amplification strategy facilitated by directional enzymatic hydrolysis for bioassays based on a metal-organic framework platform: highly selective and sensitive determination of thrombin and oxytetracycline. Microchim Acta 184:2365–2373. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2263-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar