A 3-dimensional C/CeO2 hollow nanostructure framework as a peroxidase mimetic, and its application to the colorimetric determination of hydrogen peroxide
- 253 Downloads
Various 3-dimensional C/CeO2 hollow nanostructure frameworks (3D C/CeO2 HNFs) were synthesized by using a polymer blowing process that is accelerated by adding a certain amount of cerium nitrate. Polyvinylpyrrolidone was used as the polymer. The resulting HNFs were characterized by scanning electron microscopy, energy dispersive spectrometry, X-ray diffraction, and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. The HNFs possess a large specific surface area, and the CeO2 nanocrystals consist of a single phase. The HNFs display intrinsic peroxidase-like activity and can catalyze the oxidation of the peroxidase substrate 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine in the presence of H2O2 to produce a blue product. The method was applied to the quantification of H2O2 with a 5.2 nM detection limit. The analytical range is from 10 nM to 1 μM.
KeywordsMicroporous structure Photometry Catalytic activity H2O2 detection
The present work was supported by the National Key Basic Research Project (No. 2014CB643304) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41576080 and No. 41706080).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 5.Assumpção MHMT, Moraes A, De Souza RFB, Gaubeur I, Oliveira RTS, Antonin VS, Malpass GRP, Rocha RS, Calegaro ML, Lanza MRV, Santos MC (2012) Low content cerium oxide nanoparticles on carbon for hydrogen peroxide electrosynthesis. Appl Catal A Gen 411-412:1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2011.09.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sun Y, He K, Zhang Z, Zhou A, Duan H (2015) Real-time electrochemical detection of hydrogen peroxide secretion in live cells by Pt nanoparticles decorated graphene–carbon nanotube hybrid paper electrode. Biosens Bioelectron 68:358–364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2015.01.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Chaichi MJ, Ehsani M (2016) A novel glucose sensor based on immobilization of glucose oxidase on the chitosan-coated Fe3O4 nanoparticles and the luminol–H2O2–gold nanoparticle chemiluminescence detection system. Sensors Actuators B Chem 223:713–722. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2015.09.125 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Liang L, Lan F, Li L, Su M, Ge S, Yu J, Liu H, Yan M (2016) Fluorescence “turn-on” determination of H2O2 using multilayer porous SiO2/NGQDs and PdAu mimetics enzymatic/oxidative cleavage of single-stranded DNA. Biosens Bioelectron 82:204–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.03.076 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Li Y, Liu Y, Yang Y, Yu F, Liu J, Song H, Liu J, Tang H, Ye B-C, Sun Z (2015) Novel electrochemical sensing platform based on a molecularly imprinted polymer decorated 3D nanoporous nickel skeleton for ultrasensitive and selective determination of metronidazole. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 7(28):15474–15480. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b03755 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Madhu R, Veeramani V, Chen S-M, Manikandan A, Lo A-Y, Chueh Y-L (2015) Honeycomb-like porous carbon–cobalt oxide nanocomposite for high-performance enzymeless glucose sensor and supercapacitor applications. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 7(29):15812–15820. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b04132 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar