Magnetic Fe3S4 nanoparticles with peroxidase-like activity, and their use in a photometric enzymatic glucose assay
- 1.1k Downloads
Greigite magnetic nanoparticles (Fe3S4-MNPs) were prepared and reveal a peroxidase-like activity. Kinetic studies revealed a pseudo-enzymatic activity that is much higher than that of other magnetic nanomaterial-based enzyme mimetics. This finding was exploited to design a photometric enzymatic glucose assay based on the formation of H2O2 during enzymatic oxidation of glucose by glucose oxidase, and the formation of a blue product from an enzyme substrate that is catalytically oxidized by H2O2 in the presence of Fe3S4-MNPs. Glucose can be detected in the 2 to 100 μM concentration range, and the low detection limit is 0.16 μM. The method was applied to quantify glucose in human serum. In our perception, this enzyme mimetic has a large potential in that it may be used in other oxidase based assays, but also in ELISAs.
KeywordsGreigite nanoparticles Peroxidase mimic Hydrogen peroxide Glucose assay SEM TEM
We acknowledge financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21175046, 21465010) and the Shanghai Natural Science Foundation (15ZR1411600).
- 16.Bhattacharya D, Baksi A, Banerjee I, Ananthakrishnan R, Maiti TK, Pramanik P (2011) Development of phosphonate modified Fe(1−x)MnxFe2O4 mixed ferrite nanoparticles: novel peroxidase mimetics in enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. Talanta 86:337–348. doi: 10.1016/j.talanta.2011.09.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Lyubutin IS, Starchikov SS, Lin CR, Lu SZ, Shaikh MO, Funtov KO, Dmitrieva TV, Ovchinnikov SG, Edelman IS, Ivantsov R (2013) Magnetic, structural, and electronic properties of iron sulfide Fe3S4 nanoparticles synthesized by the polyol mediated process. J Nanoparticle Res 15:1397–1410. doi: 10.1007/s11051-012-1397-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Hunger S, Benning LG (2007) Greigite: a true intermediate on the polysulfide pathway to pyrite. Geochem T 8. doi: 10.1186/1467-4866-8-1
- 28.Feng M, Lu Y, Yang Y, Zhang M, Xu YJ, Gao HL, Dong L, Xu WP, Yu SH (2013) Bioinspired greigite magnetic nanocrystals: chemical synthesis and biomedicine applications. Sci Report 3. doi: 10.1038/srep02994
- 30.Zhao P, He KY, Han YT, Zhang Z, Yu MZ, Wang HH, Huang Y, Nie Z, Yao SZ (2015) Near-infrared dual-emission quantum dots − gold nanoclusters nanohybrid via Co-template synthesis for ratiometric fluorescent detection and bioimaging of ascorbic acid in vitro and In Vivo. Anal Chem 87(19):9998–10005. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b02614 CrossRefGoogle Scholar