Impedimetric aptamer-based determination of the mold toxin fumonisin B1
- 736 Downloads
We are presenting an aptasensor for the sensitive determination of fumonisin B1 (FB-1) via electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) and applying aptamer-based biorecognition. A thiolated aptamer for FB-1 was anchored onto the surface of gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) on a glassy carbon electrode. A significant increase in resistance (Ret) is found on interaction with FB-1 in the 0.1 nM to 100 μM concentration range, and the detection limit is as low as 2 pM. The assay was applied to determine FB-1 in spiked maize samples and gave recovery rates ranging from 91 to 105 %. The results demonstrate this method to present new possibilities in the application of aptamers in food safety analysis.
KeywordsFumonisin Biosensor Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) Electrodeposited gold nanoparticles Aptamer
This work was partly supported by the National S&T Support Program of China (2012BAK08B01), S&T Supporting Project of Jiangsu Province(BE2011621), and JUSRP51309A.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no competing financial interests.
- 5.Ross PF, Nelson PE, Richard JL, Osweiler GD, Rice LG, Plattner RD, Wilson TM (1990) Production of fumonisins by Fusarium moniliforme and Fusarium proliferatum isolates associated with equine leukoencephalomalacia and a pulmonary edema syndrome in swine. Appl Eniron Microbiol 56:3225–3226Google Scholar
- 7.International Agency for Research on Cancer (2002) Fumonisin B1. In: IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans: some traditional herbal medicines, some mycotoxins, naphthalene and styrene. IARC Lyon France 82:301–366Google Scholar
- 8.Yoshizawa T, Yamashita A, Luo Y (1994) Fumonisin occurrence in corn from high- and low-risk areas for human esophageal cancer in China. Appl Environ Microbiol 60:1626–1629Google Scholar
- 9.Fifty-sixth the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) summary (2001) GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 10.Muscarella M, Magroa SL, Nardiello D, Palermo C, Centonze D (2008) Development of a new analytical method for the determination of fumonisins B1 and B2 in food products based on high performance liquid chromatography and fluorimetric detection with post-column derivatization. J Chromatogr A 1203:88–93CrossRefGoogle Scholar