Study of the winter and summer changes of the air composition in the church of Szalowa, Poland, related to conservation
- 102 Downloads
The St. Michael Archangel’s Church in Szalowa, Poland, was selected for closer investigation with respect to the indoor/outdoor air exchange and its influence on the air quality and work arts preservation. Chemical composition, size and abundance of particulate matter and concentration of gases NO2, SO2, O3 inside and outside the church were determined. To study seasonal variation of the weather condition (temperature, inversion level, wind direction) and the influence of seasonal sources of the air pollution (like heating of the nearby houses), samples were collected in winter and summer time. It was stated that suspended particulate matter inside the wooden church has in general an outdoor source. Several groups of particles were distinguished such as the organic ones, soil dust, nitrates and sulphates. In case of organic and soil dust particles, the concentration inside was higher than outside. From the results, in comparison to literature data, one can conclude that accumulation of particulate suspended matter in the church is more intense than in other types of buildings. Gaseous pollutants were detected but their concentration was negligible.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nazaroff W W, Ligocki M P, Salmon L G, Cass G R, Fall T, Jones M C, Liu H I H, Ma T (1992) Protection of works of art from soiling due to aiborne particulates. GCI Scientific Program Report, JanuaryGoogle Scholar
- Van Grieken R, Janssens K (eds) (2005) Cultural heritage conservation and environmental impact assessment by non-destructive testing and micro-analysis. A. A. Balkema PublishersGoogle Scholar
- Szaloki, I, Osan, J, Ro, C-U, Van Grieken, R 2000Spectrochim Acta55B1017Google Scholar
- Massart, D, Kaufmann, L 1983The interpretation of analytical chemical data by the use of cluster analysisJohn Wiley and SonsNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Bondarenko, I, Treiger, B, Van Malderen, H, Van Grieken, R, Van Espen, P 1996Spectrochim Acta51B441Google Scholar
- Instruction for NO2–SO2 sampling by radiello® NO2–SO2-UK-0301; Radiello®-Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri; Clinica del Lavoro e della Riabilitazione-IRCCS; Environmental Research Centre, via Svizzera, 16-I-35127 Padova, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Kontozova V, Deutsch F, Godoi R, Godoi A F, Joos P, Van Grieken R (2002) Proceedings of 7th International Conference Art Antwerp, Belgium, p 1Google Scholar
- Andrews, J E, Brimblecombe, P, Jickells, T D, Liss, P S 1996An introduction to environmental chemistryBlackwell ScienceOxfordGoogle Scholar
- Press, F, Siever, R 1997Understanding earthW. H. FreemanNew YorkGoogle Scholar