Experimental Weathering of Weak Sandstone Without Direct Water Participation by Using Sandstone from the Yungang Grottoes in Datong, China
- 362 Downloads
The Yungang Grottoes, situated in Datong, Shanxi Province, China, were first constructed in the fifth century during the Northern Wei Dynasty and were registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2001. Over the last 30 years, the atmosphere in Datong has been heavily impacted upon by atmospheric pollutants in both gaseous and particulate phases generated by the production and consumption of coal. This has posed a serious threat to the conservation of the Yungang Grottoes.
In order to protect historical sites such as the Yungang Grottoes, many investigations have been conducted into the weathering processes associated with historical stones throughout the world. Previous investigations have discussed the influence of water on the weathering processes of sandstone in China (Fang et al. 2008; Huang et al. 2008; Wang et al. 2011). Christos S. Christoforou, Lynn G. Salmon and Glen R. Cass have conducted long-term fieldwork campaigns to study the effects of changes in air...
KeywordsSandstone Simulating experiment Sulfur dioxide Yungang Grottoes Capillary condensation
- Fang Y, Wan L, Li S, Chen J, Yang G, Han Y, Wang X (2008) Study on mechanism of condensation water disease and test in site. In: Proceeding of international symposium on conservation of ancient sites 2008 & ISRM-sponsored regional symposium, vol 1, pp 205–207Google Scholar
- Huang J, Yan H, Yuan D (2008) The study on chemical effect of the water-rock interaction on the weathering of Yungang Grottoes. In: Proceeding of international symposium on conservation of ancient sites 2008 & ISRM-sponsored regional symposium, vol 1, pp 213–218Google Scholar
- Ma Z, Huang J, Zhang H (2005) Chemical weathering of carbonate cement in sandstone and the related cultural relic diseases in Yungang. Carsologica Sin 24(1):71–82Google Scholar
- Ren J, Zhang Z, Shi M, Huang J (2015) An analysis of density variation at Yungang Grottoes. China Cult Herit Sci Res 1:85–90Google Scholar
- Wang Y, Xia Y, Zhang JS, Li HS, Dai SB, Tang Z (2011) Experimental research about weathering resistance and surface deterioration of two kinds of stone cultural relics. Adv Mater Res 250–253:65–69Google Scholar