Back Analysis of Grout Treatment at Sumbar Dam Using the Joint Hydraulic Factor
Grouting is a common method of sealing rock and repairing concrete structures (Turkmen 2003; Butron et al. 2010; Hoien and Nilson 2013; Lim et al. 2013; Bras et al. 2013), and there are many examples of its application to the engineering of dam foundation improvement (Rafi 2010; Saeidi et al. 2013; Rostami Barani et al. 2014). Determining a need for grouting is a main concern in dam foundation improvement (Deere 1982; Ewert 1985). A useful design tool for ground treatment must be able to predict both zones of low water take and low grout take. Our approach is to use the degree of water-bearing structures of the rock fracture to produce reliable zoning map of the dam foundations. For this purpose, the database of the grouting works at Sumbar dam was analyzed. The main objective is to produce a criterion to be used during grouting and capable of a reasonable estimation of the expected sealing through various ground conditions. A systemic statistical analysis to assess the...
KeywordsWater pressure test Fracture distribution Joint hydraulic factor Cement grouting
I would like to express my sincere thanks to Prof Giovanni Barla (Editor) for his great help, and to the reviewers for their beneficial suggestions and comments to improve this paper. The author also wishes to thank many engineers, geologists and technical staff of T-Mahar Ab Engineering Company (T-MAECO) for facilitating access to the dam data.
- Deere DU (1982) Cement-bentonite grouting for dams. American Society of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Engineering Specialty Conference on Grouting, New Orleans, February 10–12, pp 279–300Google Scholar
- Ewert FK (1985) Rock grouting with emphasis on dam sites, Springer-verlag, Berlin, New York, 428 pGoogle Scholar
- PTCI.186 (2000) Guideline for grouting in hydro-structures. Letter no. 186. Publications and technical criteria Iran (PTCI), Plan and Budget Organization-Ministry of Energy. Tehran, Iran, in Persian. Available on the mporg website. http://tec.mporg.ir/. Accessed 25 Sept 2012
- Rafi JY (2010) Applying "real time grouting control method" in sedimentary rock with gotvand dam data. Master of Science thesis, Division of Soil and Rock Mechanics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- T-Mahar Ab Engineering Company (T-MAECO) (2011) Engineering geology report of Sumbar dam site; Sumbar Project, vol. 2. Ministry of Energy. Mashhad, Iran, in PersianGoogle Scholar
- T-Mahar Ab Engineering Company (T-MAECO) (2012) Method statement for drilling and grouting works report of Sumbar dam site; Sumbar Project, vol. 9. Ministry of Energy. Mashhad, Iran, in PersianGoogle Scholar