The Inverse-Scattering Problem: The View of a Few-Nucleon Theorist
- 22 Downloads
The theoretical step from the experimental phase shifts in the partial waves of the nuclear force to a parametrization of the two-nucleon interaction is discussed. A nuclear-physics solution to the inverse-scattering problem is recalled. The procedure is only based on the assumption of Hermiticity for the underlying potential. The procedure is provided by the off-energy-shell continuation of the two-nucleon transition matrix. It is compared with the strategies of mathematicians for the same problem. Faddeev strongly influenced the mathematical side of the problem.
The author thanks the Nuclear-Theory Group of the Carnegie-Mellon University Pittsburgh, Michel Baranger, Bertrand Giraud and Susanta K. Mukhopadhay, for the pleasant collaboration years back, from which the work of Ref.  originated. He especially thanks Bertrand Giraud for his encouragement to this contribution, his critical reading and useful suggestions. He also thanks Arnas Deltuva and Steven Karataglidis for their critical reading of the manuscript.
- 1.M.L. Halbert, P. Paul, K.A. Snover, E.K. Warburton, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Few Particle Problems in Nuclear Physics, Dubna USSR, 1979Google Scholar
- 6.M. Baranger, Recent progress in the understanding of finite nuclei from the nucleon–nucleon interaction, in Proceedings of the International School of Physics “Enrico Fermi”, Course XL, “Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Reactions” (Academic Press, New York, 1969), p. 511Google Scholar
- 9.J.R. Taylor, Scattering Theory (Dover Publications, Mineola, 1983), p. 138Google Scholar
- 11.L.D. Faddeev, Mathematical Aspects of the Three-Body Problem in the Quantum Scattering Theory, Academy of Sciences of the USSR Works of the Steklov Mathematical Institute, vol. 69 (1963). Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem (1965)Google Scholar
- 16.P.U. Sauer, H. Walliser, Off-shell continuation of the proton–proton transition matrix, in Proceedings of the International Conference “Few Body Problems in Nuclear and Particle Physics” (Les Presses de L’Université Laval, Quebec, 1975), p. 108Google Scholar
- 20.R.G. Newton, Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles (McGraw-Hill Company, New York, 1966), p. 610Google Scholar